Did I make the wrong choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you would have to worry about getting lost. Remember, coz is drift diving so the boat is drifting above you too. Plus, have you ever paid attention to just how much air a group of divers blows through? With the typical vis in coz, I don't see how you could possibly lose sight of that much gas going up. Just keep in mind that being higher will put you in faster current, so if think you lost the group, swim into the current (more like just slowing yourself down) and let the group catch up to you.

I have to disagree. It depends on what the current is doing. If you and your buddy are trying to stay above 75' and the rest of the group is well below you, they may be experiencing a totally different strength and direction of current. Also, since they are deeper, they may be close to the wall or reef, while you and your buddy are farther up in the "blue". We all know that if you want to reduce the effect of the current, you hug the wall, the reef or the bottom. In my opinion and experience, it would be very easy to be blown down the reef at a much greater rate than the rest of the group if you are not following the group rather closely. You might not get lost, but you certainly might lose your DM.

How often is that going to be a problem though? When an op says "no problem" to a depth limit (which is actually beyond what PADI thinks my limit should be...so I don't think it is really that limiting of a depth; it's not like I'm talking 40 feet.) do they expect the divers just hang out in the blue on their own, or do they plan dives that are near that limit?

Last year, the majority of the time the group was within 10-15 feet of me (and sometimes some people above me), with maybe a buddy pair 20-30 feet lower. I never felt we were that far from the reef/bottom. But if I should be expecting for THE GROUP to be 30 feet lower than me; then that is really not what I'm looking for.

Since I now have an option to go with my previous op (though buddy really doesn't want to)- I'm just really wondering if I made the wrong choice, or if it will work out okay.

With the typical vis in coz, I don't see how you could possibly lose sight of that much gas going up.

You would think so wouldn't you? Try hanging with me when I am screwing around taking pics. I can lose a group quick

Being able to go over/around a coral system while others go through barren, lifeless tunnels is an important skill to be learned. If your buddy is competent doing that, then it will be a chance for you to learn how to do it and not be separated from the group for too long.

Often you will encounter a "break" in the coral. Just drop down below the top to get out of the current and watch both directions (towards shore and towards the ocean) to find the group since going over the coral will probably place you further downcurrent than they are.

Do not look at this as a scary situation, rather a chance to improve your skills. As you gain experience diving, being able to deal with issues ALONE will work to your advantage. Learning those skills with a buddy is a safe way to do it.

We like Tres Pelicanos. We have skipped Devils Throat when they went through but of course we were still below 75'. I'd talk to Steve and make sure he understands you really don't want to go below 75'. TP is really good at everyone doing their own thing and still coming up to the Skinny Shark at the end of the dive. They will have a good divemaster but often others are along that are somewhat connected to the shop. Discuss it with Steve.

I would imagine TP will do their best to accommodate you. I've dove with both Jorge and Servando for many years with their previous dive ops. Both are excellent DM's and reef guides.

Since TP has only one boat, and 2 DM's. I'd contact them about getting one of the guys as a 'private' DM for a day or two, or three. A couple days with a 'personal' DM helping you get used to drift diving better, getting used to depth and even showing you EXACTLY how to follow bubbles over a swim-thru, could do a world of good. This could be with TP or whoever you choose.

I don't do a lot of swim-thus anymore, just don't like them much, usually going over them, 'following the bubbles' & sometimes the DM doesn't exactly do what you think they are going to do, or the current is stronger on top of the reef, or a previous groups bubbles are still sifting up through the reef and you swim with them, at any case, I've ended up further down the reef than the DM before. It doesn't bother me any, because I've been diving those reefs for nearly 20 years, but I could imagine it might freak a novice diver or a novice to Cozumel a little, not being able pin point the group right off hand. I usually just find somewhere beside the reef, or behind drop down where there's little to no current and wait for them to catch up.

Depending on how many folks they have booked that week, TP should be able to put both DM's and divers on the Skinny Shark, it's got quite a wide birth, and seems to be able to accommodate a lot. This of course depends on how many people they are certified to have on the boat, of course.

Having said all that, I agree with Fire_Diver, it's your vacation, and your dives. Do what makes you feel the most comfortable. If you have dove with Alison before ( take it that's the other option, from cvchief's response), that's who I would go with.

We like Tres Pelicanos. We have skipped Devils Throat when they went through but of course we were still below 75'. I'd talk to Steve and make sure he understands you really don't want to go below 75'. TP is really good at everyone doing their own thing and still coming up to the Skinny Shark at the end of the dive. They will have a good divemaster but often others are along that are somewhat connected to the shop. Discuss it with Steve.

While you are talking (on the phone...not email), be upfront and mention that you have a preference for Alison. That does not solve your buddy's preference but it is likely that Steve would refund any deposit (just a guess on my part).

Seriously...in person is best. Phone call is second. Email/texting is a distant third in having a useful conversation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom