Did I make the wrong choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am just curious. Since you are OK going to 75', what is the issue with 90'?

I am just curious. Since you are OK going to 75', what is the issue with 90'?

I have a spinal cord injury, and the hyperbaric physicians were very concerned the scar tissue in my cervical spine would prevent proper off gasing in a critical area to nerve function. They were the ones who drew the line in the sand at 75; though I'm sure the "don't dive deep" and that depth is more of an educated guess than a true line. However, having been paralyzed once, I prefer not to be again, so I don't push limits. I will add that they were all super excited about me diving (the three I talked to all dive) and thought it was a perfectly safe activity for me otherwise, just with the caveat of "don't dive deep".

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 02:59 PM ----------

but it is likely that Steve would refund any deposit (just a guess on my part).

Their policy states a refund less paypal fees within 60 days of booking (which I think I still am... need to count). I'm just wondering if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill and should just stick with the plan. Although I like Alison and Carlos as people, my biggest reason I prefer her is I know her diving style and know it works for me. That certainly doesn't mean others won't work for me.

Steve did reassure me that they would be able to accomodate me, and I'm guessing most divers or DM aren't going to want a nervous beginner on an advanced dive anyway, so possibly people won't suggest going to Punta Sur with me on a boat- so it is unlikely we'd go to a site I really wasn't ready for; but I'd hate for other people to be annoyed if they chose the op because it caters to advanced divers. I do worry about getting separated from the group, but in the grand scheme of things- from most dive sites it seems like it would be possible to swim back to the island if one of the six hundred other boats can't grab you, so it doesn't seem like a HUGE deal. Especially if we are able to figure out how to shoot the SMBs this weekend.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to call and change to Alison if possible. You will be happier if you change.

Then when you are there, find a way to learn how to follow bubbles if the group goes inside a reef complex. Or where you would go to wait for them to catch up. Note that sometimes my dive shop will head towards shore to get to a shallower reef so that is a factor as well.

Yes, on many dive sites if you have to ascend alone or with your buddy, you should have access to pickup by a boat at some point. Do you have a SMB to help identify your location in the water? Inflating one on the surface is fine.

Improving your ability to be self-reliant need not detract from a fun dive. On the contrary, that should boost your confidence.

I often can be found on the top of a reef system when others are deeper. I cannot prove it but the mean fish are deeper and the friendly ones, like juvenile yellowtail damselfish seem to be on top of the reef.

having been paralyzed once, I prefer not to be again

Picky, picky, picky...

Obviously, I'm not your physician. However, as *a* physician who has worked with people with similar injuries, I'd strongly recommend you do what you're comfortable with in this area and nothing more or less than that.

I too have spinal cord damage. I dive deep without any problem when I want to, but most of the time I find the things I want to see arent deep anyway.

I am a Tres Pelicanos fan. I dont think they will freak if you want to cancel and you should do what makes you comfortable....but then in the future you may run into the same problem again. Why not just deal with it now and create more confidence for the future? Especially if you buddy prefers to stick with the current plan.

Tres Pelicanos is very good at meeting the needs of all of the divers on the boat. Just because they let the experienced divers do the dive they want to doesnt mean they will abandon you. They will take good care of you.

As someone else mentioned, it is not unusual at all for a couple of other divers to be along that are not really working as DM's that day but actually do have a DM rating and dive enough that they have no problem with helping other divers. One is Jeanie's husband Mike and there were a couple of others, I dont recall their names, that dive often with Tres Pelicanos.

I did a lot of going over the swim throughs my last trip there and usually had no problem keeping track of where the others were...........although I did get out ahead of them a couple of times and had to duck in behind some structure out of the current and wait for them. The more you do it the more comfortable and self reliant you become and if you have a buddy with you there should be no real problem regarding safety.

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 02:40 PM ----------

I would also add that I think that one of the major factors that lead people to say that Tres is good for experienced divers is that they allow you to dive your air and computer instead of cutting your dive short when someone else is low on air.

Last week I was on the boat and it was a split load of experienced to advanced divers AND some beginners including fresh certified juveniles. What they did was have both Servando and Jorge as DM's and ran a dual grouping, no problems. From your earlier posts I think I will be down diving off the Shark about the same time in December as you previously posted, hope to see you there.

Hey Skittl. I dove with Aldora this past May and told each of the DM's I dove with each day that I had a depth limit of 100'. I have done many deep dives in Cozumel prior to having cochlear implants but I had concerns about the implants being able to take the pressure. I contacted DAN and spoke to one of their doctors and he said stay above 100'. The DM on a particular day when I told him of my limitation said just stick with me on a dive at Maracaibo. We were side by side over the wall there when I checked my computer and was at 118'! Was not sure if I would have any hearing when I got back on the boat and put my speech processors back on and thankfully they worked just fine. I was a bit miffed though I did not say anything. The good news is now I know the implants can handle the pressure at that depth. So I understand your concern. I do not know Tres Pelicanos dive op but I have dove with Alison and I have no doubt that if she knows your limitation you can trust her to stick to it.

Gaffer

Try the new to you op (TP). The change should help you advance your skills. And most everyone knows that gear valet service is worth having!! Especially if the price is the same or better.

You are in charge of your depth. Make sure the op is clear on your needs and desires. You will be the one watching and keeping your chosen profile.

:)

I also think that you should branch out and try other dive ops....

How else will you be able to join in the never-ending but always entertaining discussion concerning the hard-to-quantify value of a fresh smelling wetsuit every morning :D

In the interest of complete disclosure I must admit that of the 5 ops I've tried, LU tops the list so far :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom