Bonaire, Little Cayman (or Cozumel) for mix of non divers, beginners, and advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beware, petty crime in Bonaire is, and always been, out of control. Anything not left in a safe or behind a locked hotel door will get stolen. Do not leave anything unattended in your vehicle, and leave your vehicle unlocked so the thieves don't break a window.
I mean, same is true in most Caribbean locations where poverty is high yet tourism thrives.

For Bonaire specifically, just keep the windows rolled down, keep everything unlocked and don't leave anything in/on the truck unless you don't care if it got taken. Get a capsule for the truck key and ~$70 cash and clip it to a D ring during your dive. Easy peasey.

No requirement to shore dive in Bonaire. Many do mostly boat dives and their house reef.
Absolutely true. My takeaway from my visit (and commentary here on SB) is that a lot divers are attracted to Bonaire because of the freedom to shore dive where and when they want to (less structure). Also -- let's be honest here -- unguided shore diving is less expensive than boat dives with a DM.

The water is always this calm in front of the hotel.

"Nope" is not informative. Perhaps the water is not "always" this calm, but I've been to that resort 10 times, always in June or August, and 95% of the time the water is that calm.

Thank you guys for all the replies. It seems as if Bonaire wins out, so I will start looking for places to stay.

Unfortunate re: the crime but that seems to be most places these days. We had someone try to get into the saloon during a bareboat charter in the BVIs, while the boat was on a mooring ball and were on shore, and jammed the lock so bad we could not get the key inserted. Fortunately we had left a hatch open and fortunately the would be thieves didn't check the hatches.

Buying the capsule - thanks for the recommendation!

Beware, petty crime in Bonaire is, and always been, out of control. Anything not left in a safe or behind a locked hotel door will get stolen. Do not leave anything unattended in your vehicle, and leave your vehicle unlocked so the thieves don't break a window.
I've been lucky to never have an issue with petty theft. The general word "crime" puts people on alert. I want to point out that I walk to town regularly when I'm there, day and night, and I've never felt unsafe or had any issues of any kind. I consider the place completely safe from a personal security standpoint.

Absolutely true. My takeaway from my visit (and commentary here on SB) is that a lot divers are attracted to Bonaire because of the freedom to shore dive where and when they want to (less structure). Also -- let's be honest here -- unguided shore diving is less expensive than boat dives with a DM.
Shore diving works for me. I may just be found sitting on the bottom in 6 feet of water, practicing my mask removal "skills" and otherwise getting comfortable NOT breathing through my nose.

In terms of Bonaire topside one must visit the Donkey Santuary. Next to the airport. If you bring treats (recall they sold suitable treats at the gate) you will make lots of new friends.

In terms of Bonaire topside one must visit the Donkey Santuary. Next to the airport. If you bring treats (recall they sold suitable treats at the gate) you will make lots of new friends.
Another vote for the Donkey Sanctuary. And yes they do sell donkey food for a reasonable price. You drive through the sanctuary. If you roll your windows down, they stick their heads in looking for food. They have hundreds of donkeys there.

Another fun thing to do "topside" as you say is a visit to Lac Bay. At the least, have a drink and some food and watch the windsurfers. Or take a lesson and try it yourself.

Lac Bay:
IMG_3024.jpeg

Another vote for the Donkey Sanctuary. And yes they do sell donkey food for a reasonable price. You drive through the sanctuary. If you roll your windows down, they stick their heads in looking for food. They have hundreds of donkeys there.

Another fun thing to do "topside" as you say is a visit to Lac Bay. At the least, have a drink and some food and watch the windsurfers. Or take a lesson and try it yourself.

Lac Bay:
View attachment 841538
that looks like fun

"Nope" is not informative. Perhaps the water is not "always" this calm, but I've been to that resort 10 times, always in June or August, and 95% of the time the water is that calm.
Ok, 95% of the time in June or August, based on 10 samples, yes, possibly. "Always"? Nope. Has Divi's North dock been repaired yet from last year's storm?

Back
Top Bottom