Bonaire, Little Cayman (or Cozumel) for mix of non divers, beginners, and advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire is hard to beat. Here is a listing of dive sites with reviews and gps coords you can check out:
Bonaire Dive Sites
Careful. When I click on this link I get:
1715917102616.png

Think that's a false positive by the antivirus. I use this site all the time, they mean no harm.
Good to know. But something rang the bell...

Little Cayman is generally easy diving. Generally good visibility and no current. Also, most of the dive sites at Little Cayman have the moorings in about 20’ of water with the wall nearby. So you can putter around in shallow water to your heart’s content. The drawback is for non divers there is virtually nothing on Little Cayman. Cayman Brac has similar diving but it tends to be deeper. For non divers, the resort has a larger footprint. Also people actually live on Cayman Brac so there are some shore based amusements.

You might think of Turneffe Island Resort. You dive from skiffs with drift diving. The diving is generally at 60’. They take people out to snorkel in the lagoon. The lagoon is usually dead calm, high vis, max depth of 14’ and it has all sorts of things there - morays, turtles, coral heads. There is fishing, small sail boats, kayaking and some tours. But if you are looking for night life, this isn’t it. And it is pricey. The place caters to divers, people fly fishing for bonefish, tarpon and permit (which is $$$) and people just kicking back.

After reading all of the responses and checking out both Bonaire and, per some of the responses on this thread, Curacao, I am leaning towards Curacao. The LionsDive Beach Resort or Sunscape Curacao Resort are options, though LionsDive seems like it may be more suitable for diving? After mentioning travel plans to a few friends, it now seems as if 3 other couples, and perhaps up to 5 couples, will be joining us, not all divers. I'm thinking they may find more to do on Curacao.

I'll be checking out both Bonaire and Curacao a bit more, and book in the next few days.

Thank you all for your responses - it's been super helpful. If we do choose Curacao, I highly suspect Bonaire will be on the list for next year.

Good plan! Just for your future planning purposes or anybody else reading who may be planning a trip, Little Cayman matches a lot of your asks, except there is nothing topside to do for non-divers unless they are really into bird watching. There is snorkeling available from the shore on the north side of the island and if there is room on the boat, they do allow snorkelers to come along (check with the dive shop about whether or how much they charge).

The diving on Little Cayman is generally perfect for new and/or beginner divers when you are able to dive the north side of the island because the diving is all from moored locations, the seas are generally fairly calm, any currents are typically very minimal, and the moorings are mostly in very shallow locations. However (you knew there had to be a "but" coming, right?), the timeframe you were looking at, late fall and early winter coincides with the time most likely to have winds and seas that will prevent diving the north side of the island. The dive sites on the south side are ok, but nowhere near as nice (or shallow) as the north side sites.

Back
Top Bottom