Did my LDS overcharge me for annual service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a year old Apeks XTX 200 that I took to my LDS for the first annual inspection. I was charged $118.78. I did about 15 dives since I purchased the reg. I thought servicing the reg was going to be a lot cheaper than this. Also, I thought the parts for Apeks Regualators were free.

These are the charges:

Regulator overhaul 1st stage $35.00
Regulator overhaul 2nd stage $15.00
Regulator overhaul octor $15.00
Annual service kit 1st stage $27.00
Annual service kit Reg & octo $16.00
108 O-ring $1.60
Tax NYC 8.375% $9.18

Total $118.78

Is this price fair or did they rob me?

this would be a fair price normally but if your reg is under warranty then parts should have been free. I would contact the LDS and ask them about your warranty. Did you buy it from them? Did you have your warranty paperwork for them to see and stamp? Maybe it was an honest mistake by a clerk who didn't realize it was under warranty. Before you get too worked up, just ask them!

robint:D

The only thing I'll add is that we are each responsible for being a smart consumer, which means finding out your terms and costs beforehand. When people just drop off their gear and say do the service without asking how much it will cost or how long it will take or what will be done, they are just asking for pain. Maybe they'll get lucky, maybe not, but it seems the vast majority of complaints I see are when people are surprised to find out the results are not in line with their expectations.

I can take the $65.00 for annual inspection but I guess they just decided to charge me for the parts knowing that I purchased the reg from them and also I assume knowing that I am entitle to the free parts. The funny thing is I asked the guy do I get free parts and they guy told me no only scubapro does that, what a jerk.

ReefHound, you are right I should have been a smart consumer. I guess I was just trusting my LDS to treat me fairly. Like robint said, it might have been a mistake. I will call them when they open to see what they tell me. I hope they credit me for the parts. I would like to thank everyone for their imputs, you guys are awesome. Check back later on when I post the response from the LDS.

I can take the $65.00 for annual inspection but I guess they just decided to charge me for the parts knowing that I purchased the reg from them and also I assume knowing that I am entitle to the free parts. The funny thing is I asked the guy do I get free parts and they guy told me no only scubapro does that, what a jerk.

$65 for an annual inspection is also a rip-off. But the real question is why they did a full service rather than just the required inspection. If your reg was in bad enough shape to require a full service after only 1 year, then the AL warranty does not provide for free parts for that service - only every other year.

this would be a fair price normally but if your reg is under warranty then parts should have been free. I would contact the LDS and ask them about your warranty. Did you buy it from them? Did you have your warranty paperwork for them to see and stamp? Maybe it was an honest mistake by a clerk who didn't realize it was under warranty. Before you get too worked up, just ask them!

robint:D

$65 for an annual inspection is also a rip-off. But the real question is why they did a full service rather than just the required inspection. If your reg was in bad enough shape to require a full service after only 1 year, then the AL warranty does not provide for free parts for that service - only every other year.
The regulator was in tip top shape. They even placed the parts they took out on a small bag and the parts looked new. The LDS should have been honest and tell me that I did not need a full service, that an inspection was good enough.

The regulator was in tip top shape. They even placed the parts they took out on a small bag and the parts looked new. The LDS should have been honest and tell me that I did not need a full service, that an inspection was good enough.
Aqualung/Apeks require all parts be replaced on full service whether they look good or not. On the first service only a bench test is required to be done and IF it passes, no other service is done (price for bench test here is $25). BUT if the reg fails due to high intermediate pressure, full service is required. Also, Aqualung/Apeks say that if the reg has been on more than 50 dives, a full service should be done. Parts should be free for as long as you keep it in service (annual checkups), even if you bring it in for service 3 times a year! If the LDS is trying to rip you off and not follow these rules, call the manufacturer and report them, they can get there contract pulled.

robint

I've dealt with Pan Aqua on occation and would like to think they would have an honest conversation with you and do right by you if they made a mistake charging you for parts. Please post the outcome of your dealings with them.

Henrik

Those kit prices, it's probably worth mentioning, while typical, are extortionate considering how little is actually in the kits, but the gear companies have the owners over a barrrel and who bothers to check servicing costs before buying the latest and greatest reg (if we did, we'd all be be diving Sherwood)? It's almost as if the manufacturers are letting the poor fools whose regs don't have free parts coverage pay for all the parts for those who do.

Oh, and the Apeks kits are available for much less as gray market imports, below even dealer cost, but it takes some looking to find them.

BTW some gear companies sell overhaul parts in bulk as well as in kits, and it can be substantially cheaper to buy them this way, for simpler regs like piston 1sts especially. Nice shops pass the savings on to the customers.

First stage Apeks repair kits retail for $39.95. The dealer cost of those kits is now $22 plus shipping. Second stage kits retail for $19.00. The dealer cost of those kits is now $10.40. Your rebuild required one first stage kit and two second stage kits....retail value of $77.95. The dealer cost for the three kits would be $42.80. You paid a total of $43.00 for parts, plus an additional o-ring. The way I calculate it, your dealer made $0.20 on the purchase, inventory, opportunity cost, and incidential risk of that parts inventory.

According to Aqualung
If the regulator is subjected to less than 50 dives per year* it is permissible to overhaul it every other year with an inspection procedure being performed on the “off” years. For example:

Year #1 Inspection
Year #2 Overhaul
Year #3 Inspection
Year #4 Overhaul
and so on.

My LDS should have just performed and inspection not an entire overhaul. I only have about 15 dives and the regulator was in tip top shape. After every dive I do all the necessary maintenance to all my equipment. My LDS had my name in their computer system, they knew I purchased it from them and that it was only a year old. They should have been honest and not do unecessary work where it was not needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom