Did my LDS overcharge me for annual service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a year old Apeks XTX 200 that I took to my LDS for the first annual inspection. I was charged $118.78. I did about 15 dives since I purchased the reg. I thought servicing the reg was going to be a lot cheaper than this. Also, I thought the parts for Apeks Regualators were free.

they are free. **IF** you bought it through an authorized dealer, have it serviced annually, and get service through a "PARTICPATING DEALER" for the Free Parts for Life Program.

Read that last part? The Free Parts for Life participation is optional for Aqualung (Apeks) dealers. Meaning they don't have to give you that for free if they don't want to mess with the extra paperwork.

this is all listed on Aqualungs website.

These are the charges:

Regulator overhaul 1st stage $35.00
Regulator overhaul 2nd stage $15.00
Regulator overhaul octor $15.00
Annual service kit 1st stage $27.00
Annual service kit Reg & octo $16.00
108 O-ring $1.60
Tax NYC 8.375% $9.18

Total $118.78

Is this price fair or did they rob me?

$118 for labor AND parts is about the norm. figure you'll pay $50 to $75 labor for service on 3 stages. parts average $25 to $75 depending on the shop and reg.

My LDS should have just performed and inspection not an entire overhaul. I only have about 15 dives and the regulator was in tip top shape. After every dive I do all the necessary maintenance to all my equipment. My LDS had my name in their computer system, they knew I purchased it from them and that it was only a year old. They should have been honest and not do unecessary work where it was not needed.

When you dropped your reg off at your shop, what did you ask them to do?

This sounds to me like a case of the shop either not paying attention to its regular customers or perhaps taking advantage of the customer's lack of knowledge, made easier by gaining the trust and loyalty of the customer. You probably need to talk to them and get their side. Maybe the tech just made a mistake and management just did not check. Perhaps they will correct the error. (Refund on parts, inspection next year, and a cherry on the top) Or maybe you need to keep your receipt so you have proof of the service and find another shop.

Always get an estimate before commiting to service.

So, why did you get yours from LDS, not LP even though you live in NY?

You are only mentioning your LDS, not an authorized dealer.

Your LDS is an authorized dealer? If then, the part is free.
Did you get the replaced parts when you get it back? Otherwise, how could you know if the part has been replaced or not?

Your LDS is an authorized dealer? If then, the part is free.

Not all authorized delears particpate in the Free Parts for Life program. Participation is not required by Aqualung.

see: Aqua Lung: First to Dive

The Free Parts For Life Agreement is a three party agreement that involves responsibilities of the original owner, the authorized Aqua Lung Dealer and Aqua Lung. If all of the terms of the agreement are met, the original owner will receive free standard regulator overhaul parts every other year for the life of the regulator.

In order to maintain the Free Parts for Life Agreement the following terms must be met:
· The Aqua Lung or Apeks regulator must have been purchased from an Authorized Aqua Lung America Dealer
· The Free Parts for Life Agreement is only available to the original owner
· The regulator must be inspected by a participating Authorized Aqua Lung Service facility every year.
· The regulator must be overhauled by a participating Authorized Aqua Lung Service facility every other year *
· You must make sure the Dealer records both inspections and overhaul service in the “Annual Service and Inspection Record” located in the back of your regulator owner’s manual.

If the regulator is subjected to less than 50 dives per year* it is permissible to overhaul it every other year with an inspection procedure being performed on the “off” years. For example:

Year #1 Inspection
Year #2 Overhaul
Year #3 Inspection
Year #4 Overhaul
and so on.

· if the regulator is subjected to more than 50 dives per year it will require overhaul service every year. In this case you will only have to pay for parts every other year as documented by the Annual Service and Inspection record in the back of your Aqua Lung regulator owner’s manual.

Conditions:
· In order to get free standard overhaul parts on the Free Parts for Life program you will be required to provide proof of purchase from an Authorized U.S. Aqua Lung Dealer and the “Annual Service and Inspection Record” located in the back of your regulator owner’s manual documenting all inspections and overhauls have been completed as per the agreement.
· This program is limited to participating Authorized Aqua Lung America Retailers. Aqua Lung retailers are not required to participate in this program. Please inquire with the Aqua Lung retailer if they participate in the Aqua Lung Free Parts for Life program prior to bringing your regulator in for overhaul servicing.
· The Free Parts for Life agreement does not cover any labor fees incurred during either inspection or overhaul service.

· The Free Parts for Life agreement is limited to standard overhaul replacement parts as defined by Aqua Lung. During the course of a normal overhaul service additional part replacement may be necessary that are not covered under the Free parts for Life agreement.

· The Free parts for Life Agreement does not cover any parts that need replacement due to lack of basic or annual maintenance, damage caused by misuse, accident, or neglect.

Thanks, Mike.. That is another BS to the customer. I don't think LDS will inform it in advance.

Maybe, it can be another good excuse to buy a regulator from LP, not from LDS.

To OP,

Please post your LDS name for the potential customers in your area.

Pan Aqua in NYC is one of the premier dive centers in the USA. They have been serving customers / divers for more than 20 years. They are NOT known to "rip off" customers. In fact they are one of the best dive centers in NYC. If you can make it in NY you can make it anywhere.

Give them a call, or better yet just take the regulators and your invoice back in and discuss it with them. I'm sure they will give you a valid and reasonable answer to your questions. If need be ask for the owner Jim Peterson, he is a fine man and will be happy to work with you.

Regards,

Personally I wouldn't have brought in an reg for servicing that had 15 dives on it.
$118 for service...15 dives on it...
$7.87/dive? Sheesh.

Personally I'd have at least 100-200 dives on it before bringing it in, but maybe that's just me.

If I call them and they give me a hard time I will no longer purchase from an LDS, I will shop at LeisurePro.

As a technician in an LDS, I can tell you that if buy on-line, very few shops will service your gear with warranty parts. In fact most manufacturers tell you that if you buy on-line, warranties are no longer valid (Aqulung [Apeks], Atomic, ScubaPro, etc.). My suggestion, if you don't like their response, is to find a shop where you will be treated like a friend. That's the way our shop works, and I know most shops feel the same way.

As a technician in an LDS, I can tell you that if buy on-line, very few shops will service your gear with warranty parts. In fact most manufacturers tell you that if you buy on-line, warranties are no longer valid (Aqulung [Apeks], Atomic, ScubaPro, etc.). My suggestion, if you don't like their response, is to find a shop where you will be treated like a friend. That's the way our shop works, and I know most shops feel the same way.

when you say "that's the way our shops works", does that mean you 'treat them like a friend' or tell them their warranty is no longer valid?

Back
Top Bottom