Did my LDS overcharge me for annual service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a technician in an LDS, I can tell you that if buy on-line, very few shops will service your gear with warranty parts. In fact most manufacturers tell you that if you buy on-line, warranties are no longer valid (Aqulung [Apeks], Atomic, ScubaPro, etc.). My suggestion, if you don't like their response, is to find a shop where you will be treated like a friend. That's the way our shop works, and I know most shops feel the same way.
Frankly if I had an authorized dealer refuse to service gear that I bought from another authorized dealer with warranty parts, I'd do what I could at the manufacturer, Better Business Bureau and Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection level to make said shop's life slightly less comfortable.

...Another possibility exists, one that makes some financial sense (while being quite unethicial) , but I won't go into that....Phil Ellis

That is possibly the most unethical, unprofessional, and irresponsible statement of the day. If you're going to elude to something, just say it. To make such a statement without any indication of criminal wrong doing is completely uncalled for!

That is possibly the most unethical, unprofessional, and irresponsible statement of the day. If you're going to elude to something, just say it.

uhhmmmmm.... I think he just did. :eyebrow:

To make such a statement without any indication of criminal wrong doing is completely uncalled for!

Just because a shop lies to the customer about 'free parts' and charges them is not criminal. It's just a piss poor way to do business. It might be a civil issue, but it's not criminal.

Even if it's a civil issue, I doubt the original poster would go to small claims court over $50-$60 worth of o-rings, etc. Just vote with your wallet and make sure to tell others to do the same. (which is what he's doing here).

With the internet now days, you can research about any dive shop, or about any shop for that matter. You can find the ones that screw customers and the ones who don't. Shops like this that screw customers are just screwing themselves in the long run. Here they likely lost a long time customer over the cost of a rebuild kit... pretty stupid.

OK its been going on 48 hours, 33 posts, close to 850 views. Have you contacted Pan Aqua, asked them for an explanation AND have you mentioned that this has been on a web board?

I'm interested in thier response to your query.

Cheers

uhhmmmmm.... I think he just did. :eyebrow:

He didn't state what he was suggesting that the shop did, but whatever it was it was "quite unethical". What does everyone think he was talking about?

Just because a shop lies to the customer about 'free parts' and charges them is not criminal. It's just a piss poor way to do business. It might be a civil issue, but it's not criminal.

Even if it's a civil issue, I doubt the original poster would go to small claims court over $50-$60 worth of o-rings, etc. Just vote with your wallet and make sure to tell others to do the same. (which is what he's doing here).

With the internet now days, you can research about any dive shop, or about any shop for that matter. You can find the ones that screw customers and the ones who don't. Shops like this that screw customers are just screwing themselves in the long run. Here they likely lost a long time customer over the cost of a rebuild kit... pretty stupid.

I'm not defending the shop's performance, and I agree that it's stupid for any business to intentionally try to screw a customer. I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that the "unethical" activity that Phil was suggesting may have happened would be that the customer paid for something that didn't happen, and that would be criminal. Unless I've missed something, there isn't any indication that anything of the sort ocurred. That's why I threw the BS flag.

Phil himself said that the guy got a great deal. DiveSports.com offers great deals on sales and service all the time.

To answer the original question, I think the charge was a bit high to begin with (I'm not in NY), and the parts probably should have been covered. I too am curious as to any followup.

I am thinking we could cool it off just a bit.

There are two issues here:

1. What the shop in question by all accounts did (charged for parts) with the question yet unanswered being whether this was intentional or unintentional.

Other than the original poster who will check on it and let us know, any other speculation is just that.

2. What many other shops unfortunately do - refuse to honor warranties for regs you may have bought from an authorized dealer that did not happen to be the dealer you are asking to service the reg. Some shops no doubt do this because they are tired of servicing regs for divers who bought them on line to save a few bucks - a legitamate beef. But divers who bought elsewhere from an authorized dealer and who may have even moved to a new area of the country also get caughts in this online paranoia.

That practice is indeed unfair and probably rests at the heart of some of the insinuations being made. It is an industry problem that may or may not apply to the shop in question - an issue that can again really only be addressed when the original poster lets us know the shop's response.

I agree with JS1scuba. You should call Pan Aqua. I use them and they're first-rate with good people working there. Talk to Jim Petersen or Garry Collins and they should be able to help you out.

Steve

Frankly if I had an authorized dealer refuse to service gear that I bought from another authorized dealer with warranty parts, I'd do what I could at the manufacturer, Better Business Bureau and Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection level to make said shop's life slightly less comfortable.

Please read what the manufacturer says. Most do not warranty equipment bought on line. A reg is either in warranty or it is not. The consumer is the one who makes the decision to buy from an authorized dealer or buy cheap with no warranty. I will service any reg. Will I give away parts that would come out of my pocket to someone who buys on line instead of an authorized dealer? No, I don't think so. Would you? Again, I don't think so.

Please read what the manufacturer says. Most do not warranty equipment bought on line. A reg is either in warranty or it is not. The consumer is the one who makes the decision to buy from an authorized dealer or buy cheap with no warranty. I will service any reg. Will I give away parts that would come out of my pocket to someone who buys on line instead of an authorized dealer? No, I don't think so. Would you? Again, I don't think so.
Were are you getting this "unauthorized dealer" foolishness from? That's not what were are discussing here. There are authorized dealers on-line, there are non-authorized dealers who are storefronts. An authorized dealer is an authorized dealer, on-line or brick and mortar and should behave like an authorized dealer or be made to pay the consequences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom