Did someone really throw a DM's gear off the boat?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
The following was posted on a Facebook group:

"A todo los colegas de buceo: esta pareja de buzos se llaman xxx ,de Cedar Rapids, Iowa, hoy lo llevè a bucear en el parque marino de Cozumel y se han portado sin respetar las reglas de protecciòn del arrecife, con la escusa de arponear los pezes leones se pegavan al fondo marino y se metian en huecos estrictos descuidosamente, tocaron una tortuga, despues de tantas racomendaciones le quitè los arpones cuando tratavan de matar un pez leon metendo el arpon a dentro de una esponja! despues por enojo me han signalado una groceria y al subir al barco me han tirado mi equipo al mar! favor de compartir este cominucado a todos los colegas y centro de buceo que son de la zona y mas, con el objectivo de vietar (NO PERMITIR) el buceo a estas personas sin respecto de la vida submarina y de los operadores que hacen muchos sacrificios para la diverciòn de los buzos. gracias a todos los colegas por l'atenciòn"

Google Translate doesn't handle it very well and my Spanish is too poor to make a confident translation. However, it sounds as if this American couple ran amok at depth within the Marine Park, trying to harpoon fish, molest turtles, damage sponges, and squeeze through small openings in the reef. The worst is that it also sounds as if they threw a hissy on the boat and flung the DM's gear overboard.

If this says what I think it does, someone has gone to some effort to earn themselves a lifetime ban.

Last edited by a moderator:
What ???? They are really up tight in Cozumel.....:rofl3:

Jim...

The following was posted on a Facebook group:

"A todo los colegas de buceo: esta pareja de buzos se llaman xxx,de Cedar Rapids, Iowa, hoy lo llevè a bucear en el parque marino de Cozumel y se han portado sin respetar las reglas de protecciòn del arrecife, con la escusa de arponear los pezes leones se pegavan al fondo marino y se metian en huecos estrictos descuidosamente, tocaron una tortuga, despues de tantas racomendaciones le quitè los arpones cuando tratavan de matar un pez leon metendo el arpon a dentro de una esponja! despues por enojo me han signalado una groceria y al subir al barco me han tirado mi equipo al mar! favor de compartir este cominucado a todos los colegas y centro de buceo que son de la zona y mas, con el objectivo de vietar (NO PERMITIR) el buceo a estas personas sin respecto de la vida submarina y de los operadores que hacen muchos sacrificios para la diverciòn de los buzos. gracias a todos los colegas por l'atenciòn"

Google Translate doesn't handle it very well and my Spanish is too poor to make a confident translation. However, it sounds as if this American couple ran amok at depth within the Marine Park, trying to harpoon fish, molest turtles, damage sponges, and squeeze through small openings in the reef. The worst is that it also sounds as if they threw a hissy on the boat and flung the DM's gear overboard.

If this says what I think it does, someone has gone to some effort to earn themselves a lifetime ban.

My Spanish isn't great, but it looks like you got the gist of it. They've been named and shamed and it looks like the writer is calling out to other local shops to not take their business.

I can't read/write spanish and I'm not sure I trust Google to do a translation. Can someone translate and preserve tone?

Wow. That's absolutely ridiculous.
And while I don't know them, they are local to us. Great representatives of our local dive community. Wonder if anyone will think to send it to the shop in Cedar Rapids... (Who is hosting an upcoming trip to scuba club.)

My Spanish is pretty rusty but here goes... there were a few spelling mistakes, and I added some punctuation and words (in brackets) for clarity (hopefully without changing the meaning or tone), and a few guesses. Maybe someone else can clarify the ?s:

"To all diving colleagues: this pair of divers are called xxx from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Today I took them to dive in Cozumel Marine Park and they behaved without respect for the rules of protecting the reef, with the excuse to spear the lionfish, damage? the seabed and carelessly squeeze themselves into tight holes, touched a turtle, so after I took their harpons (handspears?) when they killed a fish (against) recommendations, they pushed? Leon Arpon (another diver, or maybe the DM?) into a sponge! Afterwards, in anger one rude person (one of the couple I assume) signals me to get on the boat and has thrown my computer out to sea! Please share this news to all colleagues and diving centers which are in the area and more, with the goal of preventing? (NOT ALLOWING) these people to dive with no regard for marine life and the operators who make many sacrifices for the enjoyment of divers. Thanks to all colleagues for your ATTENTION

Sounds like xxx are a couple of real winners

It might also be good/interesting to hear xxx's side of the story. They just sound too awful to be true.

I have seen first hand divers with attitudes like this. They are disgusting, rude, have a sense of entitlement beyond belief, and quite often much more money than sense. If the story is indeed true they had better watch out acting like that in a foreign country. People get tossed in jail for jaywalking and the fine is whatever they have in their pockets in some areas. Others just get the crap beat out of them.
DM's don't make a lot of money as it is. If they did throw his gear overboard they are damn lucky they didn't get tossed over to retrieve it. As they should have been. Anybody check to see if they have a Facebook page?

I took their harpons (handspears?) when they killed a fish (against) recommendations, they pushed? Leon Arpon (another diver, or maybe the DM?) into a sponge!

I believe what that says is that they pushed the spear (Leon Arpon = Lion Harpoon) into a sponge. The spear they were hunting lion fish with. But then again I'm not a spanish expert by any stretch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom