Did the DM go too far?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a number of posters have never dived in Cozumel and don't realize how DM's are required to lead dives and maintain some control over the group at all times. I assume that it is because the currents can be treacherous. I used to work for a school district that had two employees on vacation who drifted away from the DM and were never seen again. The theory is that they got caught in a sudden downdraft that they did not have the skill to extricate themselves from.

Still, I have seen the problem described here happen many times in Cozumel, and I have never seen a DM handle it like this. In fact, I would say that almost all of the DM's I have seen handle it routinely without controversy. They send a surface marker up and send the hoover and buddy up while the rest of the group continues the dive. The boat picks them up as soon as they surface.

Al Mialkovsky:
and it's usually from divers who have no idea what it takes to become a DM. Or divers who aren't capable of becoming one.

It's usually from ignorance or jealousy? Come on, that's not what this thread has been about. Let's not go down that road.

Al,

I don't understand your reaction very well. I haven't been a part of this board for a long time and might have missed some things but I definitely haven't seen any gratuitous DM bashing yet. Perhaps that's been a big thing around here, I don't know. But this particular thread, overall, has been very critical of one DM , and very complientary to the rest.

Not all DMs are bad and not all are good. I'm very thankful for the good. I wouldn't get along well with my roommate if I wasn't.

JB

Al needs a vacation.....oh, he just had one.

scuba zip:
yep, i would have punched the dm out!

Disregard the sabotage. :)

Actually, Al, this thread is (in a sort of sneaky way) answering more than one question for me. I am not interested at all in bashing DM's. Rather, I am genuinely interested in knowing the proper protocols in a variety of diving situations. I've been to Coz a number of times in addition to other charter dives, including liveaboards. I had never encountered a situation such as this, and neither had my buddy. That's why we were taken aback when it occurred.
I have the utmost respect for DMs. In fact, a local shop is after me to BECOME one although I really have little desire to do so at this point. However, I've entertained the notion from time to time, and that's why I'm interested in knowing what others think of this situation. I'm not certain I'd want to be in the position of telling a photog he has to leave his camera behind. If that's to be a standard practice, I'll keep my cert level where it is and stay out of harm's way, so to speak.
But it should be pointed out that just being critical of a DM's decision isn't necessarily bashing. We, as a collective diving group, are in a position of setting the policies and practices of our sport by cooly debating the debatable. Safety practices do not fall into this category...they are immutable. Issues concerning etiquette and custom do need to be discussed and generally agreed upon. That makes diving more pleasant for all. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

boulderjohn:
I think a number of posters have never dived in Cozumel and don't realize how DM's are required to lead dives...

Thanks I was going to start another thread or *gasp* search on Coz but you saved me the trouble.

Guba:
Issues concerning etiquette and custom do need to be discussed and generally agreed upon. That makes diving more pleasant for all. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

Here's one I like, don't let your buddy run out of air~! :D

CD_in_Chitown:
Here's one I like, don't let your buddy run out of air~! :D

YES! That is a serious faux pas where I'm from. :)

JB

Hehehehe...
Yeah, I like that one, too!

And, as a matter of fact, that's what started the whole thing. In the briefing, we were told to tell the DM when we reached 700 psi. That's what my partner did, and that's when the DM put him on his octo. I was ready to start a slow ascent with him (I had about 1100 psi), but as you can see, that didn't happen. Never was a question of being OOA, though.

Back
Top Bottom