Did you do a Discover Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at a resort in Jamaica and was offered a free discovery dive. I guessed I'd love it and just signed up for the OW course for $250 instead. Was the right choice.

Thanks for all the stories! I'd like to think that these sessions might result in people becoming avid divers. Time will tell!

Reactions: D_B
I went on a cruise and a DSD while in Roatan , it was the most fun thing I did on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise that was also the most fun thing I've done
About 1 hour in class learning dos/donts , a bit sitting in the water on the small beach getting used to breathing under water, , then cruising the sandy bottomed coral canyons at 40ft , peering under ledges , thinking that this looks just like a National Geo special! ... after a time (I suspect now to see if we had good control over our buoyancy first ) we came out of the canyon's cliff like edge over deeper dark blue water , then back into another canyon to return .. totally stoked!!
.. was so awesome I learned to scuba dive right after my return , and I notice that I've been comfortable under water from the very first, maybe the DSD is why

Discover Scuba is a great way to enjoy diving if you just want to try it...without getting certified!

We did DSD with my son an year before we got certified. My son was 9 at the time... Yeah, we lied about his age:shocked2: since he was a really tall and strong for 9 (or 10 for that matter) year old kid. We did it on vacation in Puerto Vallarta. Scuba Caribe had a great french guy in our hotel that I think did an outstanding job during our in class and pool session. Looking back I think he went well beyond what you'd expect in DSD class. We even talked and attempted to work on basic trim, etc. Then, on another day, we went on a "cattle boat" to "open water" site with another instructor. There were 3 DSD students per instructor but another lady didn't make it during basic drills (mask clearing while hanging on a line) and bailed out. Two of us had a blast, instructor pointed out all the local creatures. Looking back, viz was just so-so, maybe 40-45 feet. But we had great time. One year later we got certified (when my son turned 10) and, while not "heavy duty", we've been diving ever since. OW was so easy, majority of the drills we would do on a fly without any issues, instructor was pleasantly surprised. I'm still crediting that french guy in Puerto Vallarta for us getting into this and continuing with it.

No, nor was it something mentioned by my LDS when I signed up for OW most likely because I was already headset about what I wanted to do.

However, I think it's a terrific opportunity to introduce folks to diving.

Knowing myself, Discover SCUBA would have been a waste of time. I like most adventures and getting a small taste is never enough.

I see my OW in place of Discover SCUBA, taught me that I love it, and I've been learning ever since.

I use to have a lot of inner ear issues. When I was a child I got motion sickness lot. As a child I also loved the water and loved my glass (not plastic) mask, fins and snorkel. As an adult my ear issue did not subside very much so I feared the depths. In my 30's I finally decided to learn to fly. With just some ear and motion sickness issues at first, my body finally said, "Hey this is not so bad'" and I got my Private Pilot's license. In my 40's after a snorkeling trip to Mexico, I started to think again about diving. On my next trip to Mexico I tried Snuba and was able to clear my ears...even though I vomited from the sea water. Four month later I decided to take the plunge and did my pool and classroom theory in Lakewood Colorado (along with vomiting in the pool) and on my next Mexican trip I did my OW referral (and vomited almost every dive). I had some ear and vomiting issues when I first started but again my body got use to it after about 15-20 dives (some of it was my nerves) no more ear or vomiting issues.

I never heard of a Discovery Dive until well after I was certified or I would have taken it first....oh well....I am blowing bubble now :D

I never took a Discover Scuba but committed to OW Class.
I have assisted, coordinated Discovers and found it to be extraordinarily rewarding.
A group of boy scouts were so excited it was like trying to juggle jimmy Neutrons!
Discovers are sometimes difficult with adults but kids are so very open to try new things.
The infectious nature of them make it awesome even if they have pounded mountain dews and sour patch kids!

CamG

No, my wife and I was a bit bored on our first "package vacation", so we signed up for OW in Thailand. As a boy,doctors told me not to dive because of ear trouble...We did some pool time, and 4 boatdives and was hooked. At home, our dive no. 5 was in 1m viz :)
That was in 2010, and we are now AOW, and Nitrox certified, and even though my wife has been ill for 6 months, we already have between 100 & 150 Dives each.... And, we've made a lot of friends during our diving!

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom