"Did you know" ... that Grand Cayman has awesome shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking about going to Cayman next month, by myself. Does anyone know if there are any issues with solo shore diving?

It is against the law to dive solo anywhere in the Cayman islands boat or shore. But it is easy to find buddies.

It think the regs are put in by the "Department of Environment" but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info.

Here is what I posted 4 years ago in the Solo Diving section (I have not checked to see if things have changed):

"In the Cayman Islands, there is no "law" against solo diving but the C.I. Watersports Operators Association has a rule which prohibits their members (pretty much all dive ops) from allowing solo diving on a "wall dive." I have no idea why there is no similar rule for non-wall dives. If you promise the boat captain that you will not venture out over the wall, will he allow you to solo because he is not violating the rule? Don't bet on it. However, I think the drafting of this rule illustrates that not a lot of thought has been put into the solo diving question - the real concern is the legal liability of the dive ops.

The commercial shore diving places will not rent you a tank if you plan to dive solo.

SDI instructors can, if they want, teach the Solo Diving Course but they have to tell the students they are doing it "to make you a better all-round diver and not to encourage you to dive alone.""

Last edited:
There are 100s of shore diving sites in Cayman better than the ones listed by Sunset which are attached to a resort/shop. if you want to dive the sites which are attached to a resort/shop & they give you hassle about tanks you can get your tanks from Divers Supply in the West Shore Centre & enter & exit the site right next to the resort/shop in question.

Alex - where exactly is the Elmo site you mentioned? Is it also called Cardiac Tunnel?

Sunset House, along with other fine dive establishments on island have banded together to give visiting divers a discount on their great shore diving product. With easy entry points, a place to park vehicles, change and in most places get something to eat and drink after your dive, or inbetween those surface intervals.

Grand Cayman Shore Diving Coupon

Just print off and visit any of these establisments from now until April 30th, 2011 to receive disounts!

shore3.jpg

Thanks for the Great Coupon! We'll be using it in December/January. I love Sunset House. And in this economy every little bit helps. Thanks for looking out for the divers

Ditto on what Scubagirlfl said!

Keep the offers coming,it is appreciated

There are 100s of shore diving sites in Cayman better than the ones listed by Sunset which are attached to a resort/shop. if you want to dive the sites which are attached to a resort/shop & they give you hassle about tanks you can get your tanks from Divers Supply in the West Shore Centre & enter & exit the site right next to the resort/shop in question.

Alex - where exactly is the Elmo site you mentioned? Is it also called Cardiac Tunnel?

I can't be of much help. I don't know any other name for it. I was on a boat and was not navigating. We moored at a buoy in the Breakers area; that's about all I can say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom