"Did you know" ... that Grand Cayman has awesome shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunset House, along with other fine dive establishments on island have banded together to give visiting divers a discount on their great shore diving product. With easy entry points, a place to park vehicles, change and in most places get something to eat and drink after your dive, or inbetween those surface intervals.

Grand Cayman Shore Diving Coupon

Just print off and visit any of these establisments from now until April 30th, 2011 to receive disounts!

shore3.jpg

Hi,

The print window isn't working too well for me. Also, it refers to a "VIP Shore Diving Card". Where do I get one of those?

Thanks.

Email me your address and I will get one mailed out while we work on the printing problem. marketing@sunsethouse.com

You can right click on the photo of the coupon and "save as" then print from there. Click or in some cases "unclick" Fit Picture to Frame (as it was in my case) and then print out the picture.

Last edited:
There are 100s of shore diving sites in Cayman better than the ones listed by Sunset which are attached to a resort/shop. if you want to dive the sites which are attached to a resort/shop & they give you hassle about tanks you can get your tanks from Divers Supply in the West Shore Centre & enter & exit the site right next to the resort/shop in question.

Alex - where exactly is the Elmo site you mentioned? Is it also called Cardiac Tunnel?

That is an option, but they wouldn't allow me to rent more than one tank at a time per person. That meant making return trips every time I needed a tank and was a bit annoying when trying to do some shore diving spots on the far sides of the island.

Cayman is great for shore diving from ops like Sunset house for the vast majority of recreational divers and there are a lot of offerings and diversity. I had a buddy and his wife with me there last summer and we stuck to most of the traditional spots because she is still pretty inexperienced and was a bit nervous about the whole process and everyone had a great time.

The only problem is when you start wanting to do more adventurous dives that are outside the recreational norm, or off the beaten path a bit. The rewards however are some fantastic dives that the vast majority of visitors never get to experience.

And why do you not use standard size tanks?

Not quite true.

The vast majority of their tanks are AL72s -- I never did understand the reason for that when we were there last summer. And it did look like all the tanks they set out for shore diving, that you can just grab and go with, are 72s.

But for their boat diving, they do have at least some AL80s that they'll put on the boat for you if you ask. In fact, they volunteered 80s to me; while my petite wife, willowy daughter, and skinny son used 72s. And they kept automatically putting two 80s on the boat for me for every boat trip for the week, without me having to ask. We were all just about even in psi usage rate on each dive.

I heard, though, that they're going back to AL80s as standard.

Cayman is pretty strick on the solo diving, I can't think of a place that alows it but for all the CCR divers and double divers, try phoning some of the dive shops and see if you can get on their boat trips with your equipment. A few that will do that are Cayman Diving School, Deep Blue Divers I think and Off the Wall.....

Dive Tech rents doubles/rebreathers, thus I would assume that they would allow you to use, and be equipped to handle them on their boats. Dive Tech is the OP for Cobalt Coast, which has shore diving. So, I'm also assuming that you could dive doubles/rebreathers from their private dock.

Dive Tech rents doubles/rebreathers, thus I would assume that they would allow you to use, and be equipped to handle them on their boats. Dive Tech is the OP for Cobalt Coast, which has shore diving. So, I'm also assuming that you could dive doubles/rebreathers from their private dock.

Yes, you can dive doubles and rebreathers from Dive Tech and I've done so many times. It's just nice to have other options as well.

Without a doubt! It's good to hear that there are other operations that can accommodate the "atypical" diver. The timing of this post couldn't have been better as I am looking for a destination for next month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom