"Did you know" ... that Grand Cayman has awesome shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmacduff for a single tank dive that is about right.Most dive shops charge $100. - $110. for a two tank boat dive.There are shore dives available also for a lot less, probably $10.-$15. per tank.Those rates are without any gear rental.

Aluminum 72's and 80's? That seems to be on the small side. I'm in the middle of booking with Sunset House via Squba Holidays and I'm now concerned. Both my buddy and I are quite the air hogs (although as a 300 lb former football player, I at least have an excuse!) and we used AL 100's for our last trip to Belize. The 100 seemed to be just about right for our typical dives.

I'll inquire with Sunset House but beyond that are there any suggestions???

Thx!

m.

Aluminum 72's and 80's? That seems to be on the small side. I'm in the middle of booking with Sunset House via Squba Holidays and I'm now concerned. Both my buddy and I are quite the air hogs (although as a 300 lb former football player, I at least have an excuse!) and we used AL 100's for our last trip to Belize. The 100 seemed to be just about right for our typical dives.

m.

I doubt you will get very far with Sunset House, who persist in renting 72s although people have been criticizing them for that for years. They are also absolutely fanatical about the "no outside tanks" thing (even if you offer to pay them the tank rental fee they have "lost").

Ocean Frontiers & DiveTech rent 100s. Others may do as well - ask around.

Thx!

m.

As mentioned, Dive Tech has 100's and Cayman Diving College/Divers Down right on the waterfront in town heading North used to have some as well. Eden Rock had 80's, but much of that dive is very shallow so you probably wouldnt need 100's.

For whatever reason 100s are a rare beast in Cayman.

I have heard rumor that the dreaded 72s may be swapped out for 80s at Red Sail as they order new tanks. Red Sail and Sunset House have some common owners and perhaps eventually the Sunset House might,maybe, possibly get 80s as well.

For whatever reason 100s are a rare beast in Cayman.

If I had to guess I'd say because it's so easy to go deep when shore diving in Cayman, they try to discourage it with smaller tanks. Not that I've ever done such a thing. :whistling:

Sunset House, who persist in renting 72s

Well, like I said, they do have at least some AL80s, and don't seem to have a problem giving them out for boat dives.

I have heard rumor that the dreaded 72s may be swapped out for 80s at Red Sail as they order new tanks. Red Sail and Sunset House have some common owners and perhaps eventually the Sunset House might,maybe, possibly get 80s as well.

That's probably why I heard from Sunset House that they too would be getting AL80s as a standard.

If I had to guess I'd say because it's so easy to go deep when shore diving in Cayman, they try to discourage it with smaller tanks.

That was actually the reason a Sunset House divemaster told me they used AL72s. Didn't make much sense to me... Seemed more likely that the AL72s were a way to encourage shorter dives.

The briefed "standard" on most of their boat dives was "45 minutes or 500 psi on the boat;" but they never enforced the former (our average was about an hour), and of course didn't check for the latter.

Why would they want to prevent people from 'going deep' when shore diving? An Al80 is hardly equipment for major deep diving!

Richard.

Why would they want to prevent people from 'going deep' when shore diving? An Al80 is hardly equipment for major deep diving!

Richard.

I take it you've never seen the threads here about "How deep can I go on an AL80" or "200' on a single tank"? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom