differences in men and women while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Help me get my neck seal sorted out, make sure my drysuit zipper is seated .. and help anywhere else you see me struggling
... it IS most appreciated and I will thank you :)

I always feel good if I can offer to help someone in need of assistance, its just how I am. I am on the look out, to see if someone needs assistance. Its not that they can not do it, its just showing that you care and are considerate. There is a fine line between assisting or offering to assist and intruding your intentions on to someone who does not even want any help. One has to be tactful about these things and after a bit they can learn to be both considerate and know when not to intrude.

what do you notice as the main differences

The one difference I noticed is that male scuba divers never stop to ask for directions (which way up to the surface?) [emoji57]

P
Sent from MiPad
(No more rotten Apples...)

On the help thing ... maybe it's a guy thing ... kinda like asking for directions.

The biggest difference I've noticed between my male and female dive buddies is their (in general) approach to the dive. Men tend to be goal-oriented ... when they get in the water they have someplace to go. Seems like when my female buddies get in the water, they are where they wanted to be. As someone who typically carries a camera and likes to go really slow, I generally find it easier to dive with women ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is so true. For some reason all the guys I dive with are racing to get some where but women are calmer and take their time especially when they have a camera.
I guess, women can make good dive buddys when it comes to filming, with the exception of guys who have learned over time to slow down and practice their filming techniques. Instinctively perhaps women like to just check things out more and are happy just going a bit slower.

I have no problem accepting help for the minor things and another pair of eyes rechecking everything is always good but assembling the gear is something I prefer to do myself. I am ultimately responsible for my own safety and chose not to delegate that responsibility to someone else. My gear components and configuration are just different enough that no one has ever tried to help assemble them for me.

Since starting cave diving I've found kitting up to be a joy!

I'm normally the only diver in the water, but there's a team of people required to drag/carry/swear at the gear through occasionally miles of passages before I get to the dive site.

Being the only diver I'm free to kit up at my leisure, sometimes in spaces you can't even stand/sit up in, which is difficult, I'm normally knackered by this point too.

But because there's a team of people there because I've asked them to be, they sit around, watch very carefully but don't offer to help as they don't understand a thing. But anything I want help with? They jump at the opportunity. The most helpful thing they do is just passing things, often having to keep them in less than optimum locations. Honestly I've never known a more relaxing way to kit up in my 500+ open water dives before starting cave diving.

So, if you are like me and occasionally like help, but prefer to have your own little ritual, dive with non-divers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom