Differences of Warm & Cold Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. When I had only 5 local dives (all in "cold" NorCal winter waters) and was still struggling to control myself with 14 mm of springy neoprene and a bunch of lead, I went to Hawaii, where I was a buoyancy god. I was again humbled upon my return to local diving.

Posted via Mobile Device

BINGO! Every time I dive in a new type of environment, I consider myself a newbie. The hardest conditions in which to dive are those you know the least about.
Tell me about it. The hardest part about diving in the caves was dealing with the flow.

If I need to wear more than a swim suit, the water is cold.
If I don't need to wear a drysuit, the water is warm ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't dive cold but I have no doubts that it is more difficult HOWEVER, I will say that I have seen more then 1 cold water diver have a very bad day in the gulf...To be fair, I have seen a few warm water divers get a little freaked out as well...Don't know why some people are comfortable in a cold lake but warm gulf water gets the better of them...

I'm not sure what point you are making?

It isn't just adjusting weight for more exposure protection. It's also the rebound of 14 mm of neoprene, which is something almost unnoticeable in a thin suit. Or the ornery behavior of an unfamiliar drysuit!

This is a key point in the buoyancy issue with a thick suit. It isn't just that there is a net add of weight for a thicker suit then you are equal to how you dive in a thin suit, it's also how it changes over depths. When I wear a 3mm shortie I can pretty much get my weight to where I can descend and pretty much at any depth soley with breath adjustment level out, then later ascend without touching my inflator. When I wear a 2 piece 7 MM farmer john with 5 mm hooded vest and gloves the weight I need to descend usually requires some air in my bc at depth to compensate for the compression of the suit and loss of its buoyancy, that then needs to be monitored according to different depths. I don't mind saying I'm a better diver in warm water.

...When I wear a 2 piece 7 MM farmer john with 5 mm hooded vest and gloves the weight I need to descend usually requires some air in my bc at depth to compensate for the compression of the suit and loss of its buoyancy, that then needs to be monitored according to different depths. I don't mind saying I'm a better diver in warm water.

Yes, today's BCs make it a lot easier. In the days of the life vest / horse collar (CO2 inflation), you had to kick like hell to come to the surface from depth. After my first deep dive I realized why the swimming requirements were so necessary... :)

Back
Top Bottom