Different Island Costs - Staying and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Having just returned from a week of diving on Bonaire, we're already starting to think about the next trip (which won't be until next year...). I've a good sense now of how much it costs to do a week of diving in Bonaire, and would like to get estimates of diving on other Caribbean islands. I'd be particularly intestested in any estimates for: Caymans (any), Turks and Caicos, BVI, Curacao, and Dominica. This would be a dive vacation, and we'd be looking to do at least 3-4 dives daily (mostly boat dives this time, having done all shore dives in Bonaire, but shore dives are great if available). We're thrifty, and looking to save money where possible. We do not need fancy hotels/resorts, as we would like to spend as much time away from our room as possible. :) Diving would likely be in either late March or summer if that affects prices significantly. So for these Caribbean islands, any estimates for accomodations and diving, plus other associated costs, would be greatly apprieciated.

The Caymans and thrifty don't go in the same sentence.

Look at Roatan - Coco View or the like.

DeputyDan:
The Caymans and thrifty don't go in the same sentence.

Look at Roatan - Coco View or the like.

We are considering Roatan (and Utila), but would like to hear more about other options in the Caribbean (as is, our Bonaire trip would already be cheaper than Roatan). If the Caymans are that expensive, great, scratched from the list. What about the other islands? What would compare with Bonaire, give say, another few hundred dollars? What would at least come closest, both in terms of diving and cost? Again, obviously we're willing to pay the difference between shore diving and boat diving.

Rainer:
Having just returned from a week of diving on Bonaire, we're already starting to think about the next trip (which won't be until next year...). I've a good sense now of how much it costs to do a week of diving in Bonaire, and would like to get estimates of diving on other Caribbean islands. I'd be particularly interested in any estimates for: Caymans (any), Turks and Caicos, BVI, Curacao, and Dominica. This would be a dive vacation, and we'd be looking to do at least 3-4 dives daily (mostly boat dives this time, having done all shore dives in Bonaire, but shore dives are great if available). We're thrifty, and looking to save money where possible. We do not need fancy hotels/resorts, as we would like to spend as much time away from our room as possible. :) Diving would likely be in either late March or summer if that affects prices significantly. So for these Caribbean islands, any estimates for accommodations and diving, plus other associated costs, would be greatly appreciated.

We are staying at Breezes Curacao this summer. The price is $1950 for the week and includes all food, beverages and entertainment and one shore dive per day.

We only rented a car of 2 days last year when we went to Curacao and probably will do the same this year unless we decide to do more shore diving on our own. We are spending one week in Bonaire (first time) and one week in Curacao (second time).

I would feel fine doing shore diving on my own at Caracas Bay (Tug Boat), Porto Mari and Cas Abou. I would probably use the Dive Bus for the Mushroom Forest. We would also probably dive on the house reef at Breezes on most days.

Hope this helps gives you an idea of cost. Others might be able to help you with other dive resorts on Curacao and the cost of eat out at restaurants. We ate all of our meals at Breezes since it is all-inclusive.

You can check with the the Dive Bus to see what their rates are for shore diving.

Well if you are looking for inexpensive, you should add Cozumel to your list. Cheaper than Bonaire, just not as many dives due to the boat rides. Awesome diving as a bonus.

Cecil:
Well if you are looking for inexpensive, you should add Cozumel to your list. Cheaper than Bonaire, just not as many dives due to the boat rides. Awesome diving as a bonus.

Would rather hold off on Coz for a few years. More interested in the other islands (if price works).

Hi,
I aggreee the cyamans are not cheap but the diving is really good. Check out little cay man (http://www.littlecayman.com/home.php) or cayman brac (http://www.bracreef.com/ brac reef resort), the resorts (owned by the same company) there do combined dive accomodation packages that work out OK. One of them was doing a 2 for one deal recently for May but I would guess thats all sold out now.

I have also been to Dominica and the diving was very good but not as good as the caymans, check out http://www.divedominica.com/ if you stay at their dive lodge its not too exspensive.

Saba was one that did not appear on your list, its good as well !

Cheers
Doug

Rainer,

You are still in "high season" in late March and paying the highest prices of the year in the Carib., except for Christmas - New Yr. Prices can drop as much as 20 to 30% in "low season," which usually starts in mid-April or early May and runs to early to mid Nov.

Regarding boat dives, a lot of places offer a 2 tank morning dive as well as a 1 tank afternoon dive, but the afternoon is often for "resort divers," as well as certified divers, so will be a shallow dive. You may not get in 4 dives a day very often.

Good luck, alashas
http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Back
Top Bottom