Different Qualification Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point I was making is that I don't have to carry my altitude or photography cards.

Suppose a dive op stops you from entering the water with a camera?

:eyebrow:

You don't really need to carry more then two cards. I keep my AOW with my gear and carry my Nitrox.

Yeah, those are probably the two most important for the typical recreational diver.

Get a tech card and you only need to carry ONE...

Unfortunately, I've heard some ridiculous stories about tech card holders being denied on boats because the card doesn't say "Advanced Open Water" or being denied Nitrox fills because the card only says "Trimix" and not "Nitrox." It's wacky, but it happens.

I've also read some funny stories about tech instructors being required to do checkout dives and fin pivots to prove they're OW-qualified, because the DM wasn't familiar with the agency. If I'm going to a dive destination, I'd prefer the Nitrox+AOW approach.

Unfortunately, I've heard some ridiculous stories about tech card holders being denied on boats because the card doesn't say "Advanced Open Water" or being denied Nitrox fills because the card only says "Trimix" and not "Nitrox." It's wacky, but it happens.

I've not completed TriMix, but my DSAT TEC DEEP DIVER card says "Decompression Diving, EANx & O2" and I've never had a problem with it.

PS - any boat that won't let you on with a Tech card is doing you a favor, as that's not a boat I'd want to get on anyway.

I've not completed TriMix, but my DSAT TEC DEEP DIVER card says "Decompression Diving, EANx & O2" and I've never had a problem with it.

Well, EANx should cover Nitrox at least :) Once in a while there's a new guy who's told, "don't let anyone on if the card doesn't say Advanced." Then you're screwed.

PS - any boat that won't let you on with a Tech card is doing you a favor, as that's not a boat I'd want to get on anyway.

Maybe. But sometimes it's just the gatekeeper that's clueless, or the boat is a taxi and doesn't impact the dives at all; if you miss one out of four dive days on your trip because of a clueless employee, it still sucks for you.

OK, I can see where you don't want all your cards in your wallet. That makes sense.

But, all of my other cards are in the same zip-lock bag as my logbook and dive tables and those are in my dive bag. How hard can it be to fetch another card if some moron can't understand that your MSD card sort of includes Advanced?

I carry my MSD and Nitrox cards in my wallet. The only reason for the MSD is that the old NAUI Advanced Open Water was looking a little aged. Twenty years in a wallet will do that. The PADI Nitrox card is new.

Richard

But, all of my other cards are in the same zip-lock bag as my logbook and dive tables and those are in my dive bag. How hard can it be to fetch another card if some moron can't understand that your MSD card sort of includes Advanced?

I try to split my cards up. One is in my wallet, another is with my log book, another in my gear bag. In reality, often you just need *a cert card* and not having a card on your body because you left your zip-lock at home, or in the hotel room, is what worries me when I travel.

If you miss one out of four dive days on your trip because of a clueless employee, it still sucks for you.

I'm curious. Do you actually know where this "UBER STRICT" dive boat is that won't let you on with a TECH Card? Please share with everyone. Do you personally know someone has been turned away from a boat because they would not recognize his TRIMIX or CAVE or other tech cert? I've heard this mentioned a few times on the board, but somehow real details don't exist. Kinda curious. :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

Wow, you come off sounding incredibly belligerent. Did I personally offend you somehow?

I'm curious. Do you actually know where this "UBER STRICT" dive boat is that won't let you on with a TECH Card? Please share with everyone. Do you personally know someone has been turned away from a boat because they would not recognize his TRIMIX or CAVE or other tech cert? I've heard this mentioned a few times on the board, but somehow real details don't exist. Kinda curious. :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

Yes, I personally know and have dived with people who have had problems with both fills and with getting onto resort dives with tech cards, or have witnessed firsthand. Many have posted about it firsthand, too. Let me help you out:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4069963-post7.html - Tech 1 card refused because it wasn't AOW

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4070256-post19.html - NAUI instructor card refused

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4070435-post25.html - Danny Riordan's Cave 3 instructor card refused because it didn't say NITROX on it.

There are others, too. These are all from a single thread, a search will undoubtedly uncover more. Soo...at least we're not "Kinda curious. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:" anymore, I hope?

One good suggestion I found when perusing these old threads is to take a picture of your c-cards and keep them on your camera. It may or may not help, but it's a bit of no-cost insurance that might save your dive if you leave your cards behind.

Back
Top Bottom