Different Qualification Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a tech card and you only need to carry ONE...

Ironically, tech diving clears out a lot of room in your wallet, so you would have plenty of room for more cards!

:D

Due to the He used to make the card it has a larger number of smaller molicules in it and thus it takes up lass space. :D

Get a tech card and you only need to carry ONE...

Ironically, tech diving clears out a lot of room in your wallet, so you would have plenty of room for more cards!

:D

From what I hear, if you go tech, you actually NEED a lot more cards in your wallet-the credit type, not the diving type!

I try to split my cards up. One is in my wallet, another is with my log book, another in my gear bag. In reality, often you just need *a cert card* and not having a card on your body because you left your zip-lock at home, or in the hotel room, is what worries me when I travel.

I can't recall the last time I went anywhere without my wallet. I have enough cards there to get what I want. The ones in the dive bag are redundant or specialties. Not the kind of thing I would need to show to anyone.

Richard

Yeah, I have a NAUI reef check card that really doesn't do anything other than imply that I'm certified. I don't plan on relying on that one anytime soon.

Yes, and it's stupid. Not only do you get a new card, you have to fill out all the forms again and you get a new diver number!

They should have one account on file, any instructor can add qualifications to your account and when a new qualification is added you get a "replacement" card with all your training (although really the only ones you'll need to show people are OW, AOW, Nitrox, Drysuit, Deep, and less often I suppose Rescue, Ice, Cavern, or Wreck.)

Wow, you come off sounding incredibly belligerent. Did I personally offend you somehow?

Yes, I personally know and have dived with people who have had problems with both fills and with getting onto resort dives with tech cards, or have witnessed firsthand. Many have posted about it firsthand, too. Let me help you out:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4069963-post7.html - Tech 1 card refused because it wasn't AOW

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4070256-post19.html - NAUI instructor card refused

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4070435-post25.html - Danny Riordan's Cave 3 instructor card refused because it didn't say NITROX on it.

There are others, too. These are all from a single thread, a search will undoubtedly uncover more. Soo...at least we're not "Kinda curious. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:" anymore, I hope?

One good suggestion I found when perusing these old threads is to take a picture of your c-cards and keep them on your camera. It may or may not help, but it's a bit of no-cost insurance that might save your dive if you leave your cards behind.

Sorry. No belligerence intended. I believe that those stories are more apocryphal and exaggerated than true. People use them to make points about "cards". I have never personally met anyone who has been turned away from a boat because they never recognized his or her tech card. Me and you both know that if this happens, we will get the name of the boat, the skipper or boat crew announced loudly on the board. The stories are all classical "SNOPES like". "John Chatterton was was turned away from a boat because he forgot his c-card".

Without the "Boat Diver Specialty" card, I am amazed that they will even let you on their boat. :rofl3:

Without the "Boat Diver Specialty" card, I am amazed that they will even let you on their boat. :rofl3:

And without the National Geographic Explorer Diver card from PADI, how can you expect to be allowed to do a reef dive? :dork2:

I believe that those stories are more apocryphal and exaggerated than true. People use them to make points about "cards". I have never personally met anyone who has been turned away from a boat because they never recognized his or her tech card.

While I understand you're coming from (where are we again, the internet? :wink:), it sounds like your issue is more with rhlee, nwgratefuldiver and Rtodd...all of whom were direct participants in such episodes. You saw it in their own words, and they're also all active on SB, so feel free to take it up with them. I personally know two of them, and I'm satisifed taking them at their word.

Me and you both know that if this happens, we will get the name of the boat, the skipper or boat crew announced loudly on the board.

Not always. If you're carrying other cards, you just show them another one and it's not a big deal (but could have been if you only had that one card, see rhlee's post); you'll probably remember the incident as a lesson for the future action, but not everyone comes home and badmouths the op for it. I've posted a few operator/LDS issues threads too, but IIRC I've never come out and blasted them by name.

Again, feel free to confront the declarants directly if you don't believe me, they're just one thread/PM away. And let us know here what they say, it may be pertinent to the discussion!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom