Different rigs for different dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Horrors- does this thread mean there might be different kit set-ups for different types of diving??? My, my, my... what a novel concept!

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Horrors- does this thread mean there might be different kit set-ups for different types of diving??? My, my, my... what a novel concept!

Dr. Bill

Thanks for the imput doc. Of course it would have been great if you could have weighed in on the two main issues here:

1.) My 18watter isn't a toy - it used for signaling my buddy. I train with it. If I choose to leave it home when I dive for bugs - it's a big deal for me.

2.) Lots of us are going to integrated DC dry gloves- they are real pain to change between dives (a deep wreck where I need my hands warm vs a 20' bug dive). So, now I'm looking at a buying another DS for atleast $500. That's an big deal for me too.

Do you own multiple drysuits? Do you dive with a can light that you use for team diving? If so, does the canister light come on every dive?

John,

I'd keep the drysuit and the light. If you're concerned about the drysuit getting a beating, you should get a drysuit that's rugged enough in the 1st place. A wreck can be harder on your drysuit than a lobster. The only tear I ever got in my drysuit was from a wreck, not a bug. Light - as you said, it is your primary means of communication with your buddy, ESPECIALLY in the waters where you'd be lobstering and associated vis conditions. I'd say stick with the light. As for the gloves - the smurf gloves or just about any dry gloves will eventually tear and flood if you lobster or wreck dive. That's why my drysuit has wrist seals as a back up to the dry glove. This also allows me the option to skip the dry gloves and dive bare-handed or with wet gloves for diving in warm(er) water, something you cannot do with a suit w/out the wrist seals. As for the expensive integrated DC system? Why? Get a set of rings of your choice ($50-80). Buy a pair of Atlas smurfs w/liners for $12-15, and a few spares w/out liners for $4 each to keep in your SAD kit. If a glove ruptures on a dive, you can replace it on the surface in 5mins with a spare. Total cost - <$100, including spares :) Or if you want, get a set of warm 5mm wet gloves for lobstering, and use the dry ones for deeper colder dives. So - keep the light. Keep the drysuit. Get some wet gloves.

-Roman.

notabob:
John,

I'd keep the drysuit and the light. If you're concerned about the drysuit getting a beating, you should get a drysuit that's rugged enough in the 1st place. A wreck can be harder on your drysuit than a lobster. The only tear I ever got in my drysuit was from a wreck, not a bug. Light - as you said, it is your primary means of communication with your buddy, ESPECIALLY in the waters where you'd be lobstering and associated vis conditions. I'd say stick with the light. As for the gloves - the smurf gloves or just about any dry gloves will eventually tear and flood if you lobster or wreck dive. That's why my drysuit has wrist seals as a back up to the dry glove. This also allows me the option to skip the dry gloves and dive bare-handed or with wet gloves for diving in warm(er) water, something you cannot do with a suit w/out the wrist seals. As for the expensive integrated DC system? Why? Get a set of rings of your choice ($50-80). Buy a pair of Atlas smurfs w/liners for $12-15, and a few spares w/out liners for $4 each to keep in your SAD kit. If a glove ruptures on a dive, you can replace it on the surface in 5mins with a spare. Total cost - <$100, including spares :) Or if you want, get a set of warm 5mm wet gloves for lobstering, and use the dry ones for deeper colder dives. So - keep the light. Keep the drysuit. Get some wet gloves.

-Roman.

Hey Roman,

The DC gloves I have keep the inside seal (so if they rip I'll be OK suit wise).

I've found chaning the gloves (putting them on the rings) to be a real pain - is there a trick/tool?

Have you seen the OMS (ekk) neoprene semi-dry gloves - they go pretty far up the arm.

When I go for bugs I tend to reach way into the hole - with my mask and chest against the rock - I'm concerned that if I clip my light off I'm going to do a number on it. In terms if my suit - it's aTLS with courdora overlays - but still, reaching into those holes up to my shoulder with barnacles etc can do a number on it.

MASS-Diver:
Thanks for the imput doc. Of course it would have been great if you could have weighed in on the two main issues here:

My comment was in praise of the concept that a diver might actually use different gear configurations for different types of dives. For some folks that is a novel idea. It was in no way critical of your specific question, to which I can offer no response since I do not use dry suits or even lights (other than my video lights).

Dr. Bill

MASS-Diver:
Hey Roman,

The DC gloves I have keep the inside seal (so if they rip I'll be OK suit wise).

I've found chaning the gloves (putting them on the rings) to be a real pain - is there a trick/tool?

Have you seen the OMS (ekk) neoprene semi-dry gloves - they go pretty far up the arm.

When I go for bugs I tend to reach way into the hole - with my mask and chest against the rock - I'm concerned that if I clip my light off I'm going to do a number on it. In terms if my suit - it's aTLS with courdora overlays - but still, reaching into those holes up to my shoulder with barnacles etc can do a number on it.

For glove rings I use Viking bayonets and absolutely love 'em. I've found them to be very easy to use - for doning/doffing you just twist, no help needed from others as long as you keep the o-rings lubed, very secure - they don't pop off if you have too much gas inside or if you stretch your arm, and they allow for rather easy glove replacement topside. Oh, and they're rather reasonable in price and you can get them w/out the factory gloves. They also come with a variety of internal plastic rings, allowing for a wide variety of glove and wrist seal thickness. If you ever want to see mine, let me know, we'll figure something out.

As far as the light - your reflector should keep the test tube bulb housing fairly protected. Unless something grabs your arm from the inside of a hole and starts bashing you against the rock, it should be ok. Then again, if that happens you have other things to worry about than your light :wink:

-Roman.

John,

I'd say your drysuit can handle it. Wrecks rather than rocks are a bigger issue for some of the trilam suits. I agree that the smurfs would be a problem, one of the reasons I stopped lobstering. Best idea seems to find neoprene gloves that go up high enough to protect the rings.

I tend to take my light on every dive, the HIDs are actually less fragile than you'd think. It's more likely to get damaged in the car to or from the dive site.

How bout this, I'll tow the flag and give you light, you can stick your hand in the holes to chase out the lobster? :D

I don't know guys - maybe I'm just too rough on my gear or something. When I go for a bug I clip my light off, however, again, I tend to go way in for lobster and my chest is often really pinned against the rock. In terms of the gloves - I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

Thanks for all the feedback, and, Mer, any plan that involves anyone else taking the flag is a plan I like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom