Digital Computer AND Analog Depth Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bperrybap:
Do you have any links to papers/reports/studies that have been
done that show this that I can read about?

--- bill

No, just personal experience.
I've had both dive watches and dive computers perform erratically when getting near to end of battery life but before showing "low battery" on the display.
I've had a computer go into "error" for no reason whatsoever on a dive and then work perfectly for the next n dives with no explanation for the failure. Just some combination of parameters in the processing algorithm.
I've seen AI computers sync onto other divers transmitters or just give weird readings.

I've never seen analog instruments fail. KISS. After all you can't get much simpler than
a spiral tube that expands when pressurised. Just a couple of simple gears to drive the pointer. I've heard about failures but only when the whole thing was corroded from water ingress and the failure was to be expected.

I dive a hoseless, air intergrated computer and carry an analog SPG/depth gauge clipped off the the accessory holes along the left side of my backplate.

It stays completely out of the way in my slip stream and gives me the redundancy that I desire should I have a computer failure. The analog gauges, coupled with a dive watch, give me complete redundancy with respect to gauge and time.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom