Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feared the same thing in my situation I discribted above. The instructor that I had taken the course with had signed off on all the dives in my log book, so had his instructor #. First thing I did, when I got home, was call PADI and confirm that he was in good standing, when I found out that he indeed was, I was relieved. If he had not have been, I would have reported it. Was it right? No, and maybe i should have reported it, but I just felt like they were doing me a favor by giving me the PIC to mail, so I didn't.

One way to avoid this type incidents is to check the instructor out through PADI before ever taking the course. Any legit instructor should be happy to provide his full name and instructor # to prospect students.

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to respond.
I have the form in hand and am filling it out. I will keep you posted of the events to come.
This is a very friendly place with loads of imformation and support.
Thanks for your support.

E

Enigma - glad to hear you're doing the right thing. Keep us informed.

The discussion in this thread certainly opened my eyes. I guess I've been operating in a wee bit of a fantasy land -- I've never given a second thought of someone representing themselves as something they're not. Scary. :eek:

With this thought,I think certification challenging should occur far more often than it is. I'm thinking particularly when you go out on a boat charter where the dive may be beyond the skill set for a diver. Yes I know it's the diver's responsibility to dive within their abilities, but shouldn't they be reminded of the skill level required for the dive to be safe? Last summer I passed through San Diego and took in a couple of charters (saw the Yukon, kelp beds, Coronado Islands) and was never challenged to prove my C-level. Sure I was asked, but I didn't have to prove it. <Mario if I had I known you then I would asked to go diving with you>

There is talk around here that more and more of the local charters will not let you on the boat if you don't have the necessary c-level. Don't know if it's true, but I sure would support it.

Is there any standards? Guidelines?

DivingGal, if you've been diving my neck of the woods chances are we might have even been in the water at the same site at the same time! I'm literally in the water all the time! Let's see since you did the Coronado's, Yukon, and the Point Loma kelp beds you probably used the Blue Escpae, Lois Ann, One Eyed Jacks or the Hydro Diver right? Let me know and I can probably name boat cpatain's and divemaster's and even how they do their briefing... LOL! Perhaps I should start diving some stock tanks to get away from this place for a while :wink:

Mario you do know your stuff! I was diving through Dive Connections (one day on Molly Anna, one day on Ocean Express).

Over all the briefings were OK, but I found the ones for the Yukon/Kelp a bit lacking. At the Yukon we were told not to penetrate beyond sholders as there were still problems (? sorry I can't remember all what was said - but I dove the Yukon the first weekend in August, so only about two weeks after it sank itself) The chap who paired up with me had a grand dive, and I had a good chuckle of having to go to California to dive a Canadian destroyer. It was when were moving to the kelp beds that I found out one of the divers was solo. That made me nervous, so I asked my buddy if would might diving as a team of three (not ideal, but I thought better and solo), as he didn't mind, I approach the solo diver and asked. He declined. The briefing we got was useful to my buddy and I as neither of us had dove in kelp (in Ontario? in Colorado?), we paid close attention and had a blast. When we got on board for our return, I noticed that Mr Solo was not on board (shivers), soon he was spotted way way way out at the surface in the middle of kelp. He then had a long surface crawl, and we had a long wait. The next day at the Coronado's we had a good briefing - what to see, what to do, what to avoid etc, and a solo diver was added to my buddy team.

Well that's a high level. I enjoyed myself and had a great time. But I now know that even if the boat crew doesn't ask to see proof, I do (in a polite way of course -- sort of I'll show you my log book if you show me yours)
As I said

Hey Diving Gal

You must know you don't have to go all the to San Diego to dive a Cdn Destroyer! We have one down here on the east coast, that is an interesting dive. 3 on the west coast. Come to think of it not too sure if we have more on the bottom than on the top :). If your ever down this way let me know and we can set something up.

Right on Remora - you got a "date" to dive. I'm not planning a trip to NS in the next while, but you never know.

The reverse offer goes to you to -- diving here.

Thanks

Will be in the Ottawa area in Feb, but business only. We are setting up a shop trip to the "Empress of Ireland" for June time frame, but that's not really close to Ottawa :(. Hope to get to Kingston this spring on business or would that be diving :). It be nice to dive the Kingston area wrecks again, Zebras have really done wonders for water clarity up that way. Anyway you have an open invite for the east coast!

Enigma, Do you have any updates for us? Please do tell how the whole thing is progressing.

Since it's been a while, I was just wondering if anything new has happened since the last time we talked?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom