DIN assemblies interchangeable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if this helps at all but i was talking to a lds shop owner who put apex rebuild kits in his hogs and viseversa and has yet to encounter a problem.

interesting, I know they aren't compatible on the D2 when I tried, but maybe the D1's have a different DIN assembly? Couldn't imagine they would, but it's possible..... One option you could do is run to a local hydraulic shop and see if they can tell you what thread size they are.

Good to know on the D2. Agree that D1 and D2 using different DIN assemblies would be odd. Not sure about a hydraulic shop in my neck of the woods but ordered a couple of thread gauge tools. I should be able to get an accurate reading of the thread pitch but I suspect the predrilled holes to measure diameter may not cover DIN bolt sizes. BTW, the two numbers I indicated earlier: the proper jargon seems to be minor and major diameter.

---------- Post added August 29th, 2014 at 05:40 PM ----------

Not sure if this helps at all but i was talking to a lds shop owner who put apex rebuild kits in his hogs and viseversa and has yet to encounter a problem.

Thanks. Unless I'm mistaken "rebuilt kit" usually doesn't include DIN assembly but good to know other Apeks service parts may be interchangeable with HOG parts.

rebuild kits don't include any metal parts, but you are correct, many of us put the Apeks HP seats especially in the HOG regs when the bad batch of seats was coming through. Most all of the o-rings are the same, though there were subtle variations in the hp seats, they did work.

An update: The thread pitch on both the Apeks and D1 DIN assemblies seem to be 18 tpi (SAE). The thread pitch gauge (Rapid) has both SAE and mm but none of the latter (increments of 0.25mm) fit the Apeks/D1. As suspected, none of the predrilled holes to measure diameter fit the DIN assemblies. As a another reference point, I also measured the thread pitch of a Scubapro assembly: 24 tpi. Hence SP assemblies are worlds apart from Apeks and D1.

Back
Top Bottom