DIN over 3000 PSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatexastony:
and spectrum, you have a CLUE who Vance is? .....:D

I have a rough idea but I don't see where a pat answer is appropriate when the original poster asked about his yoke being taken to over 3000 PSI and in the E7 cylinder context.

Just because we have experince with surpassing a design specification it does not rewrite the specification. We surpass at our own risk. Sharing that experince is one thing, passing it off as an absolute answer is something else. I appreciate Vance's insight and stand by post #10.

When I speak here I consider not only the original poster but the many more numerous lurkers who may take a statement at face value and dive with it.

Pete

I really don't know why the old imperial measures are still used and not (slowly) converted to metric measures, which are much easier in calculations and conversions.

What’s there to augment about this? DIN is a far superior fitting but instead everyone has to but there 2 cents in if you can run your yoke up to 4000 psi . SCUBA claims to be a safe sport and is ,so why to error the side of safety?

SCUBA-J:
CGA G-7-2003 Compressed Gas Association, Inc Pg 5

5.3 Valves on air cylinders

Connections CGA 850,CGA 851 ,CGA 853 and CGA 855 have been assigened for use with self-contained undwater breathing apparatus(SCUBA) based on historical use and the SCUBA regulator and ancillary equipment designs..Except for CGA 852 which may be used for cylinders cylinders to 5500 psig at 70*F these connections may be used with cylinders rated up tp 3000 psig at 70*F filled in a manner that complies with the rating for the cylinder.

Connection CGA 851 is limited standard cylinders valve yoke connection for pressures up to 3000 psig for SCUBA air .Its is limited to use in SCUBA .

What is is saying CGA850 (yoke ) is good only to 3000 psig , if its over it should be DIN.

Ah, battle of the standards........

• ISO 12209 (Gas cylinders - Outlet connections for gas cylinders valves for
compressed breathable air) was released in 2000, giving full dimensional details
and upper pressure limits for:
o In its Part 1, the yoke type connection almost universally used for SCUBA
applications, for use at up to 230 bar (23 MPa) cylinder filling pressure at
15°C
o In its Part 2, two threaded connections derived from the German DIN 477
Standard, one for use at up to 230 bar (23 MPa) cylinder filling pressure at
15°C and another for use at up to 300 bar (30 MPa) cylinder filling pressure
at 15°C
o In its Part 3, an Adaptor for 230 bar valves which allows a valve with the
threaded outlet of Part 2 to be connected to an application complying with
the yoke connection of Part 1.

The rest of the world and the entire Tech world dives DIN. Why are we so far behind?

dexter98:
I really don't know why the old imperial measures are still used and not (slowly) converted to metric measures, which are much easier in calculations and conversions.
Probably for the same reason the nontandard / Non-SI unit of Bar is used. Convenience, tradition and familiarity.

You guys should be using Pascals and MPa instead of that weird 100,000 Pascal unit that is so commonly used.

---------------

As for the original question; yoke aka international fitting on regulators have a variety of ratings.

Read the manual for your reg. Mine is rated for 3500psi in the yoke version. What counts is what YOUR reg is rated for.

On HP cylinders use the DIN fitting only and you'll have no worries. When I got my PST E7-100s, I switched my first stage to DIN and my old steel 72s to a DIN connection. Why bother with anything else? Keep the old yoke connection and have your LSD switch it back for dive travel just in case. 'Nough said.

LobstaMan

Yeah, the "tech world" uses DIN. So what? They also favor low pressure tanks, duh. The "rest of the world" does not use DIN, just some Euro countries and former colonies which get their valves from Europe.

The INTERNATIONAL yoke connection is equally as reliable up to 3500 psi. There is no difference except that the yoke screw is easier to snag on fishing lines or catch on an overhang, but accidentally knocking the reg/tank joint ajar is very unlikely. The yoke valve is easy to keep clean with a simple piece of tape, and can be blown dry easily, but suffers in rental situations where the operators or customers use an ice pick to change out the O ring. However, the claims that the yoke clamp is not "safe" is a bad rap. The DIN is best suited for use on VHP (very high pressure) tanks up to 4500 psi. It is optional on other sets, no more, no less. It is superior for complicated cave rigs, the kind with multiple tanks and regulators and a lot of other crap. The DIN is simply a cleaner installation. I wouldn't use it at higher pressures (over 4500) due to the thin walls of the DIN valve. The socket in the DIN valve will collect moisture and grit. Compressor operators have to be aware of this and clean the valve thoroughly. When not in use, a large plug is necessary to protect the socket. Also, the regulator threads are exposed, not protected by a yoke clamp. The threads and the inlet have to be shielded with a boot.

About "bar". A bar is not one atmosphere, it is just an approximation, a happenstance which makes it handy to calculate (roughly) volumes. Please, no more "physics for dummies" lectures.

The ISO and CGA "standards" are not specifications. The specifications for the USD and SP yokes far exceed the stuff published by these bodies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom