DIN regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did my AOW check-out dives with the brand new DR RG-2500. Love it! Breathes very well up to 100 ft (we didn't go any deeper). DIN is the way to go with HP steel tanks.

Kudo's to Phil at diversports.com.

It's a good reg.:wink:

You should have gone with an Atomic. Yes the initial investment may be a bit more, but they have a two year service interval that will make them less expensive after a couple of years. There is a reason that in every regulator test, Atomic always comes out on top.

Ilovesherwood:
You should have gone with an Atomic. Yes the initial investment may be a bit more, but they have a two year service interval that will make them less expensive after a couple of years. There is a reason that in every regulator test, Atomic always comes out on top.

Actually, Dive Rite has a 2 year service interval also on the RG-2500

See warranty section in http://www.diverite.com/manuals/docs/Regs/RG2500-RG2500IceUserManual.pdf

I did not know that. Atomic has the seat saving orifice, so that the orifice and the seat aren't seated up, except for when there is pressure. What does Dive Rite use?

Ilovesherwood:
I did not know that. Atomic has the seat saving orifice, so that the orifice and the seat aren't seated up, except for when there is pressure. What does Dive Rite use?

I'm not sure what Dive Rite uses.... I'm sure you could email/PM Jordan at Dive Rite and ask him and he'd be glad to tell you.

BTW. Many of the regulators are going to the two year service interval. Aqualung and Apeks are doing it also. (Inspect every year and rebuild every 2 years). Many also include "free parts for life" with meeting the required maintenance periods.

The Atomics you reference are excellent regulators. I can't see a reason not to use their regulators. The only negative to the Atomic brand is their higher price and the lack of dealers around the country in case you needed parts. (You are much more likely to find a Scubapro, Dive Rite, Aqualung, etc dealer in a town than you would an Atomics dealer.) But you can remedy this by purchasing 1st and 2nd stage rebuild kits to keep in your save-a-dive kit and print out the Technical manuals and keep in a ziplock bag in your dive bag. That way you can take care of 99% of the problems at any dive shop. Like I said, they are excellent regulators, but the much higher cost is a deterrent for purchase to many divers and the fact they typically can't buy them at their LDS.

Maybe one of these days Atomics will get their website back up. It's been down for weeks now... (maybe longer).

Looking to buy a DIN regulator which is the only piece of diving equipment i don't own.

Requirements: DIN only (travel to Europe every year), balanced, warm water, sealed 1st stage is a plus(less maintenance supposedly?), budget is 450$.

Narrowed down my choice to the following models:

1. Dive Rite RG 2500
2. Oceanic Delta 4 / FDX-10
3. OMS R-1/R-236
4. Zeagle Envoy Deluxe

As far as features are concerned, OMS and Zeagle don't have sealed 1st stages, so they are cheaper than DR and Oceanic.

If anybody has experience with some of these regs, please respond. Thanks in advance!

Based on my experience with Oceanic regulators I would stay away from them. I have two Delta 2's (one diaphragm and one piston) and have had problems with both leaking air from the first stage when not serviced at the yearly interval. I have to have mine serviced at exactly the 12 months or run the risk of leaks.

Adam

Delta 4's are great regs. Oceanic is a fantastic company with awesome customer service. DR is also a fantastic company. I've used RG2500's, and they're great. I have a Salvo SR2 on the way for my singles rig, and it's the exact same thing as a RG2500, just less money :D

if you dive nitrox, you might find that some places in europe use the new m26 din valve...
there are adapters out there, but i thought i give you a heads-up...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom