DIN regulator coming loose underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see an unpressurized DIN reg coming loose as it gets twisted open by all the movement. This may be an advantage to the old Yoke, which is more solid without pressure. My guess is the reg was not pressurized or the pressure was released accidentally.

Let the SPG dry out too. If you have any silica gel packs, put some in a plastic bag with the SPG to help make sure it's water free.

Thanks, that was the only part I was concerned about. I also thought about using a syringe (I'm in the medical field) and putting a little alcohol in the bourbon tube (rubbing not Bourbon) to displace any water, but I like the silica gel idea better.

Has anyone had an uncharged tank/regulator loosen like this with depth?

Sure. If it's not pressurized, both DIN and yoke can loosen.

Pressurize everything.

That way you won't grab your pony, turn it on and discover you just unscrewed the yoke from the tank. Or have your DIN loosen up by itself.

Might want to look at putting an omniswivel in-line shutoff between the LP hose and the 2nd stage, and an OPV on the 1st stage. No more free flowing bottles or lost charges, because you can leave the valve wide open and have nary a bubble escape the 2nd stage.

Duuuuudette!

I weaseled out of that swim...and you did it (for the third time) TOWING YOUR KAYAK!?!?!?!

Remind me to bring you my man card next time we dive together. :blush:

The regulator hoses were all full of water (except the LP to the 2nd) so that confirms water entry and explains the transient poor performance. Everything has been rinsed and is drying out with desiccant.

Dr Lecter hit it, add an inline shut off..

I would often pressurize my tanks, and occasionally after a scooter run find a tank way down..

Played around with Scuba Pro r190's which seem less inclined over the Hogs to dribble while scootering. But I finally just ponied up and put inline shutoffs, and never worry again about pressure loss again.

Downside... you have to train yourself to turn on the inline shutoff if you bail out or use it.

I use a mouthpiece crud catcher on my pony and leave it pressurized it keeps the crap out of the reg and stops it from free flowing not sure how that would work with the scooter.

When I first started using them, I wondered whether the slide-checks would be an annoying bulky thing on my hose, a failure point, an annoying extra step, or all of the above. Now that I've used them for a few months and several dozen hours of diving, I can't imagine diving without them. My only complaint is that while Omni-Swivel makes really nice slide-checks, nobody seems to make an equally high quality OPV for the 1st stage. Damn things are leaky and difficult to set with any precision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom