DIN vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, I am well aware of these facts, however I can say that I worked for Dive Rite Express/Fill Express for almost 2 years, and I assure you it was a regular occurance.

Now this might be that in the real world divers are careless with their gear, and it gets abused, but I guarantee you, it wasn't the fault of the fill operators there.
I'll buy a "regular occurrence" as that could be described as a couple per week. That is a lot more plausible than seeing "several" o-rings blow in a shop on any given day as you stated earlier. That is a bit over top in terms of stating the problem.

I have seen divers blow o-rings in a shop due to having the connection loose, having it improperly aligned and, most commonly, turning off the valve, inadequately purging the reg or purging but not waiting long enough for the high pressure gas in the SPG and hose to drain - leaving some residual pressure trapped in the reg.

Valves are like bedroom linen, there is WHITE, and there is is VULGAR.

Yokes are Vulgar.

Hmmm...

of course you realize that "vulgar" comes from latin, vulgaris, meaning "of or pertaining to the common people, common, vulgar".

I worked in a dive shop for 2 years. O rings on yoke valves blow out all the time. I have seen it happen to others underwater, fortunatly not to me.

I have since converted to DIN on everything. I keep a couple of yoke converters in case I need them.

I'll buy a "regular occurrence" as that could be described as a couple per week. That is a lot more plausible than seeing "several" o-rings blow in a shop on any given day as you stated earlier. That is a bit over top in terms of stating the problem.

I have seen divers blow o-rings in a shop due to having the connection loose, having it improperly aligned and, most commonly, turning off the valve, inadequately purging the reg or purging but not waiting long enough for the high pressure gas in the SPG and hose to drain - leaving some residual pressure trapped in the reg.

Maybe they fill 10x (maybe even 20x) more tanks than regular dive shops? It's always busy in there, and filling tanks is what they do.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but in the last 15yrs I've not seen a blown yoke O ring underwater. Blown O rings when forgetting to purge reg or fill whip, many times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom