Din vs. Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to be all yoke just because that's was the most common interface no matter where you dived. It wasn't until I started deep diving and started wearing a sling bottle that I converted. It wasn't because of wearing the bottle, it was because when I went to use it and i noticed it was off at 20 ft. I inadvertently removed the yoke 1st stage instead of turning on the tank valve. Oops! That answered it for me, converted all my regulators after the dive back at my LDS with conversation kits. Like everyone else, I now carry a din to yoke converter when I travel. When I dove again with the conversion, it was pretty easy to figure out which one the tank valve was, even with 7 mm neoprene gloves.

Hopefully 300 Bar Din will eventually become standard globally.....

Yes, and the nitrox-specific European standard being pushed by certain manufacturers there will die an early death.

As with so many other things, there is some thought behind the preference for DIN. Not only does the DIN connection trap the o-ring, it is also far less susceptible to being dislodged if the regulator comes into contact with an overhead. Therefore, for technical and overhead diving, DIN is strongly preferred. Since standardizing equipment across a team is also a highly desirable thing, it makes sense to have everyone using the same kind of connection. (That way, you can lend tanks or regulators easily.) In addition, DIN regulators are easily converted to yoke, should you travel somewhere where DIN tanks are not available -- the reverse is not true.

to circle back to the OP here as well.

At the t1 level the equipment standards (as they relate to the question) are:

Equipment Requirements

Each student should have, and be familiar with, all of the following required equipment.

1.Tanks/Cylinders: Students are required to use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual-outlet isolator manifold, which allows the use of two first-stages. Divers must also have access to one deco tank/cylinder of 50-percent Nitrox.
2.Regulators: Two first-stages, each supplying a single second-stage. One of the second-stages must be on a 7-foot/2-meter hose. One of the first-stages must supply a pressure gauge and provide inflation for a dry suit (where applicable). One first-stage regulator for shallow decompression gas, supplying a single second-stage and pressure gauge.

The yoke valve fits these guidelines, However the given the pros/cons of each system the DIN connection is less failure prone and should be given preference.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom