Yoke or DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is an insert and an adapter the same thing or are they two different things?
Angelo covered it pretty well with the pictures.

The insert goes in the valve to convert it from DIN configuration to yoke. The adapter goes on the regulator to allow a DIN regulator to be used with a yoke valve.

The insert will only work on the convertible valve. A dedicated DIN valve can’t use an insert. The threads are too deep for the insert, and the body of othe valve is too large for a yoke clamp.

A dedicated yoke valve can’t use an insert. The threads are too deep for the insert, and the body of othe valve is too large for a yoke clamp.
Perhaps you did mean a "dedicated DIN valve".
Which is better described as a DIN 300 bars valve.
Something mounted only on 300 bars steel tanks, which you can find only here in Europe and mostly used for technical diving (as they are terribly heavy in water).
Also here in Europe the most common tanks are 232 bars and equipped with the dual-purpose Din/yoke valve (with the insert).

In the online PADI Open Water Dive Course, under the section on regulators, when talking about a Yoke system vs. a DIN system, it says this:

"A common option is to choose a DIN regulator with a yoke adapter, useable on either type valve."​

Then under the cylinder section it says this:

"you can get a DIN valve that accepts a yoke insert, which takes either type of regulator."​

This is a bit confusing to me because they seem to be using the words regulator and valve and then valve and regulator interchangeably (notice the color coding of the words). From my understanding a regulator is not a valve and the valve does not belong to a regulator (the valve is a part of the cylinder).

1. Between the two statements above, do they mean DIN regulator or DIN valve?
2. When they say "useable on either type ______" or "which takes either type of_____," do they mean valve or regulator?
I have yoke but quite honestly my next reg is going to be DIN (I will always make sure to have yoke adapter, but these days everyone has tanks where you can take out yoke insert). Din is smaller, a bit lighter and it allows for HP tanks. Just my 5 cents

Perhaps you did mean a "dedicated DIN valve".
Which is better described as a DIN 300 bars valve.
I did mean DIN. Thanks. Edited post above. Yes, DIN 300 bar valve is probably a better description. In many parts of the world. In the US, I can’t say I’ve heard anyone refer to it as a 300 bar valve. It’s usually just yoke, DIN, or various names for the convertible (hybrid, pro valve, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom