DIR and Vegetarian Diet?!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I took my DIR-F with Bob Sherwood.

Our group went out to dinner together Friday and Saturday nights. As I recall, he ate meat, albeit in reasonable portions.

Hey, and I'm sure I just saw MHK eat a piece of pepperoni pizza during a DIR-F class too!!! Hummm, I suppose he might have been doing it just to fool us into thinking he actually liked meat?... the sneaky bastard!

~<//><

If you are eating the right types of meat and following a good workout program, being a carnivore is not going to hurt you. It is possible to get enough protein from plant sources, but it is not as convienient or as tasty. Think of all the hardcore weightlifters who eat around 300g of protein a day...from plants?...I don't think so.

For a person who sits around eating Big Macs and drinking beer all day, a vegan diet is might be a good idea. Turing into a vegan is not going to help you as a diver...if you are doing what you are supposed to do anyway.

Maybe some of the guys at GUE are PETA freaks and are letting their views trickle into their writings...

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

Maybe some of the guys at GUE are PETA freaks and are letting their views trickle into their writings...

Mabye so...Mabye so

ElectricZombie,
I beg to differ...I work in a Cardiac ICU Unit and am an Rn student and I can attest about the damages I have seen as a direct result of animal products being consumed. And I don't mean a 16 oz steak per day either!

First, I urge you to PM SeaJay about his radical changes in lifestyle recently. One of them was a move to a more (way more, actually) vegan diet, amongst others. Ask SeaJay how HE feels...

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but recent cardiac research has shown that within a 4-hour period after the consumption of a meal of animal products (AKA animal 'fats') plaque can be observed lining the veins already. That’s in just 4 hours. Multiply that times 365 days per year, or lets even be modest and say 1/5 th of that, for the benefit of the doubt. Any wonder why heart disease (AKA MI's) is the #1 killer in America?

I suggest you all obtain a copy of Dr. Robert O. Young's book entitled "Sick & Tired?" and/or "The pH Miracle" for yourselves. He’s a Microbiologist that you'll be hearing much about very soon. Currently Dr. Young is taking part in a controlled study with, I believe, 45 diabetics in Florida with some MD's for proof that his products, indeed, have been beneficial in getting diabetics off of, and in some cases severely reducing their need for insulin.

As Dr. Young says "I never eat anything with a face on it."

PS A recent study with the Army gymnasts at West Point and Dr. Young's diet and products has shown that they had much more successful workouts with the implementation of Greens and, faster recoveries in-between workouts as well.

Also, a diet of protein via animal products has nothing to do with building muscle mass in any gym. Horses are muscular animals, yet they do not consume meat products. Protein can be had a variety of ways, even from the consumption of greens (veggies). Then there is the argument of "you'll be anemic if you do not consume any animal products." I ask you "Have you ever SEEN an anemic cow, horse or other vegan?" Fact is humans need very little protein to build muscle mass - thats an old falacy Weider began years ago in an effort to sell protien powder! The body needs an extremely small amount of protein, about 6 grms per day to build muscle. Its blood that actually builds muscle. Quality RBC's.

Read the book guys...the AMA would love nothing more than for you all to keep consuming your animal products, hell, there's tons of money to be made from heart disease, cancer, x-rays, chemo, tests, hospitals, doctors, nurses, insurance. SOMEONE has to pay for these fancy cars and homes all these doctors sport...may as well be you all, right?

Scoobie Dooo,
First things first, people are not horses or cows. Our body makup is so different from horses and cows that I cant even believe anyone would make that analogy. You also cite two studies, one is Dr. Youngs book, which deals with diabetics, which I am not. The other deals with gymnasts at west point using his methods for "quick recovery" between workouts.

I would ask you to pick up a copy of Flex magazine, (I know that Weider owns the publication), or any other magazine/book based solely on muscle building. I would then ask you to look at people such as Ronnie Coleman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, or any of the other greats from Bodybuilding. These guys have proven that it takes a "carnivore" approach to even come close to builiding any kind of quality muscle mass. Most experts reccommend at least one gram of protein per pound of body weight per day in order to build quality muscle mass, not 6. So for me that would be about 160 g. per day. Protein synthesis is so obviously important in building muscle that I can't believe someone would insist otherwise.

Secondly, I was a gymnast for nearly 6 years. I can personally attest that being a vegan or vegetarian is far from the industry standard. I've come into contact with numberous world class gymnasts and coaches, and I cant say that I've ever met one that was vegan or vegetarian. Im sure that they exist, but my point is that it is not the norm.

The vegan/vegetarian community would love nothing more than for you to keep buying your soy, tofu, and vegies. Someone has to pay for those farmers tractors, which cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Humans have been eating animals for thousands of years. Our body composition is surely affected by these thousands of years of evolution. I'll never stop eating meat, nor will I buy into anything that would suggest me to do otherwise.

ncsuScUbA
Well, I disagree. First, I never said Dr. Young's book said anything about diabetics - I said a study is currently underway in Florida on this topic.

I'd venture to guess that the gymnasts in West Point with disagree with your philosophy. Wonder what Weider has to say about growth hormones, antibiotics, etc. Hmmm.....

Hey, to each is own..you keep right on 'buying into' that meat-eating scenario and join in the millions dying from heart disease today. Hey, the AMA LOVES guys with your mentality
!

God didn't put my eyes in the front of my skull for grazing.
E. itajara

For diet and nutrition, there are many ways to "skin the cat" so to speak and have a healthy lifestyle.

If you eat enough of anything you can develop neutritional problems, especially if the excess in one food group causes you to you forgo other entire food groups.

I'm a vegetarian. For about 4 years, I was strict, no muscle or organ tissue of any kind, red, white, fish, fowl, etc. For the past 7 years or so, I've been a "vegetarian", but I consume fish a few times a week. The reason for the fish inclusion is that I was having a hard time modifying my diet to be well rounded without. It was frankly starting to lean to unhealthy. Sure it can be done and has been done by others, but I could not personally do it.

My current diet, while being a "vegetarian" that eats fish, is low carbs as well. Not crazy low like Atkins, but max 90-150grams of carbs a day from grains/starches/sugars. Carbs from greens/veggies are not counted. Over the day, this brings me to close the 300g of carbs a day that is the USDA reccomended amount. It's been working well and I have been healthy and able to maintain an active exercise regimen, INCLUDING weight training, diving, rock climbing, rowing and capoara. Just because the diet is working well for me doesn't mean that it is good for anyone else, or that they are willing or able to make the dietary/lifestyle changed to make such a diet a success.

Anyone making a blanket statement that XXX diet is healthier for someone else without knowing their current activity/exercise regimen, lifestyle and current diet, and also taking into account a person's ability to adjust and stick to modifications those three areas is just pissing in the wind.

Just look at how many diets (not celebrety/cult of personality diets) are out there that have stood the test of time and has many followers who are active and healthy. My definition of cult/celebity diets being some wierd diet made up by some person(s) based upon anecdotal evidenced and usually pushed by them in book form, generating a decent profit for them coincidentally, and "cult" diets being ones that require you to continually plough money back to a person/organization to stay on the diet...

It should be evident that there is no one "right diet" for everyone and that people CAN make many different diets work for them, provided they match their diet with their lifestyle/activity levels.

Well runvus4,
Thats your oponion and your entitled to it - however, I disagree. Obviosuly none of you have multiple Doctorate's in Microbiology so its easy to see that none of you truly understand cells of the human body, how they act, why they act, etc.

Just an FYI-

Some of the misconception that DIR requires a Vegan or Veggie diet may be because the training director, Andrew Georgitsis is a vegan.

DIR and GUE, as stated above, only promote a healthy diet and lifestyle. How you get there is up to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom