DIR and Vegetarian Diet?!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that JJ, AG, Sonya and RJ are vegans. That's the only four that I have heard of so far. I'm sure there are others. MHK does like steak, but only if it is good. When we had a class at Gilboa last year, we stopped at some place and AG said he didn't think he could eat anything on the menu. The funny thing is that MHK said the same thing because the pictures of meat on the menu looked awful. We left and went to the Outback instead.

AG mentioned that he went vegan and it cleared up allergy problems. I believe he had problems with dairy products. I believe Sonya told me the same thing happened with her.

They don't force it on you, but they do like to rib you a little at dinner if you order sea food. "Do you know how much ocean is destoyed when they bring in the shrimp?" Apparently some students like to tease them as well. Right SeaJay?

People are in cardiac units not because they eat meat, but becuase they have made multiple poor decisions concerning their health and fitness. They don't workout, are usually severly overweight and have a terrible diet. Meat is not the major factor leading to cardiac ills...it's lack of personal responsibility.

Take a person who weight trains hard 4+ times and week and does an hour of cardio each day...adding lean meat to this persons diet is not going to negativly affect them at all...it will actually help. However, eating Big Macs and being lazy most certainly will...

6g of protein a day is nonsense...studies have show that serious athletes need a lot more than that. 1g per lb of bodyweight is a good basis if you are involved in such activities. Sorry, but Weider is not tricking anyone into buying more protein...(Some of which is made from soy BTW)

While I agree with you ncsuScUbA, I don't think that using Flex/Ronnie are great arguments... Pro IFBB bodybuilders take large amounts of steroids...it's their job...and you can't get that big without them. They still need a ton of protein to support their steroid gains though...

ElectricZombie,

Thanks for the support. The only reason I chose to use pro bodybuilders as an example is show that if anyone knows anything about building muscle mass, its those guys. And if you take a close look at their diet you will see that they consume extremely large amounts of protein from meat on a daily basis. I would also have to disagree with you about the steroid use. I'm sure that many of them juice all kinds of stuff, but at the same time, many do not. A lot of those guys get there by pure dedication to the sport. They eat big, train hard, and sleep a lot. Some of those guys carry around coolers with them all day long packed with baked potatoes, grilled chicken, steak, vegies, etc. They eat all day long, train for hours on end, and then get tons of sleep. Eating meat stimulates the growth hormone increases testostorone naturally. That is how many of those guys do it.

an all veggy diet would throw bouyancy
completely off.

See: Warhammer, Dr. Charles...Flatulance be My Friend
2001 Random House $7.95 paperback

Lawman once bubbled...
an all veggy diet would throw bouyancy
completely off.

See: Warhammer, Dr. Charles...Flatulance be My Friend
2001 Random House $7.95 paperback

Very funny!

"And if you take a close look at their diet you will see that they consume extremely large amounts of protein from meat on a daily basis."

That doesn't mean that the kidneys can handle that kind of added stress of over intake or protein. The body needs very little protein to actually build muscle - its a misnomer what most actually believe that you NEED versus what you actually DO need. All the protein needed can be had via soy sources, and or seafood.

Why overload the body so and force the kidneys to work so much harder? The average person only gains about 12# of pure muscle per year, short of using steroids. Thats about 0.03# per day of muscle gain no matter HOW much protein one consumes. I know, I used to be a bodybuilder. I packed 6-12 eggs per day, whole chickens and a gallon of milk per day in an effort to beat those statistics - to no avail.

Your kidneys filter 180-200 liters of fluid per day and excretes just a few. Overloading them with protein just creates added stress.

Lets see, Weider = Protein = Sales = Dollars. Get the idea?

Well, I don't see your markets meat specials in Weider's publications, do you?

Oh market meats- duh! You mean the ones full of parasites, steriods, and antibiotics? The mad cow disease ones? How long do you think its gonna be before Chronic Wasting Disease gets from western/midwestern USA east?

Mabye we should just all move to the mountains. Shave our heads. Vow to never eat meats again because they are "gross." Plant a tree, eat some tofu, and continue our transformation into true bull****. I mean come on, you dont eat meat because its gross, or because you might get high cholestrol? I mean whats youre real reason? Do you just want to be different? Make a statement? Save the planet? Peace and love? Dont harm animals? what is it????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom