dir-f question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mask was OK in our swim. I opted not to use one.

I have no idea what would have happened if someone tried to bring out a snorkel though... :wink:

Trying to swim with your nose blocked is hard!!

Hit the pool and do some practice. Great training for cardio too.

mer:

Hit the pool and do some practice. Great training for cardio too.

got fever after my last dive yesterday. i will spend my last two days: sun, monday getting rest. no more gym and cardio. will find out soon enough how i do:) i wondr if i can take antibiotics?

mer:
I said I opted out of the mask :eyebrow:

I do definitely need to find a pool around here though. I suck at swimming. It has nothing to do with being in shape... I can run 3 or 4 miles, hike up mountains, cave for hours on end just to haul myself and my pack 200+' straight up a rope etc.. but man I just suck at swimming. Just never really done it before.

Enough about me... :p

jonnythan:
I said I opted out of the mask :eyebrow:

I do definitely need to find a pool around here though. I suck at swimming. It has nothing to do with being in shape... I can run 3 or 4 miles, hike up mountains, cave for hours on end just to haul myself and my pack 200+' straight up a rope etc.. but man I just suck at swimming. Just never really done it before.

Enough about me... :p

i agree i can hike carrying my own weight. i am fit gymwise. squat more than my weight, i can run, jog but i suck in swimming and biking.

happybuddha:
Spoon, I imagine the swimtest will be run off the beach in Small Lalaguna, out in front of Tech Asia. It doesn't normally get too choppy there and I also expect you will do laps so if the current is against you on one leg it will be with you on the opposite leg.

Enjoy yourself and don't celebrate too much in the Point after you finish!

Drew

most likely as my instructor is a tech instructor in tech asia.

im quite safe tested my underwater breath hold swim i can do 80 ft easily stretched it to 120 but i wsa gasping for air like a mother@Q@#%#%!!!

I brought a pair of googles for the swim. Much better than trying to swim with a mask.

EDIT: Sorry - missed Mer already made that point clear :)

mer:
Birdies tell me that the swim test standard will be increased to 400 yards in 14 mins for fundamentals. The standards available online have not yet caught up. Still should not be a problem for anyone.
Is it just a way to restrict the number of DIR-Fundamentals students?

I think its bullsh!t to be continually tinkering with the prerequisites, without any advanced notice.

It shows the powers that be either don't understand the concept of a prerequisite (diving or otherwise) or that the existing prerequisites were arbitrary or capricious or otherwise not well thought out.

Obviously, there are some smart people at GUE, but organizationally it looks like its being run by people who've never run a training organization before. :11:

StSomewhere:
Is it just a way to restrict the number of DIR-Fundamentals students?

I think its bullsh!t to be continually tinkering with the prerequisites, without any advanced notice.

It shows the powers that be either don't understand the concept of a prerequisite (diving or otherwise) or that the existing prerequisites were arbitrary or capricious or otherwise not well thought out.

Obviously, there are some smart people at GUE, but organizationally it looks like its being run by people who've never run a training organization before. :11:
Obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

First of all, the prerequisites are perfectly available to any student thinking about taking the class. A simple email or call to the prospective instructor will clear any doubts, period.

Second, GUE is in the middle of intense debate, both public and private, about the requirements. There are a lot of smart people trying to decide exactly why the requirements are there, what they should measure, and how they should go about measuring it.

There's nothing arbitrary or capricious about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom