DIR-F Report - Sault Ste. Marie CANADA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey once bubbled...
edit

This one though caught my eye more than others. In basic OW scuba, you are taught to approach the surface with your arm extended and looking to ensure that you don't surface under a boat.

In this VIDEO , NEITHER diver EVER looks up! Is that a standard DIR technique or just oversight?

Again, not a critisism, as I have rather enjoyed the interesting debates and the MANY tips and pointers that I have found in them.

Knavey - are you referring to the horizontal ascents as compared to the vertical ascents you were taught in OW?

SS

Knavey,

Both divers are facing each other during ascent. That means one is looking over the other's shoulders and can see what is above and around him/her. Also, each diver has the ability to simply turn his head and look up! Add onto this the fact that you listen for boats, and there is not an issue here. Remeber, the position of these divers is such that they are precisely controlling their ascent. The horizontal positioning facilitates this skill.

Let me ask you a question- In a low visibility situation, what happens when you do the vertical spin move that you referred to?

ScubaScott once bubbled...

Knavey - are you referring to the horizontal ascents as compared to the vertical ascents you were taught in OW?

SS

Just talking about the basic premise of checking what you are coming up underneath! I practice my skills in the pool in my inlaws back yard when my wife and I have been out of the water for a while and we even ensure that we are doing it there.

I have never been taught the horizontal ascent since I only have basic OW and AOW. I was impressed with the bouyancy control in those set of films, and I wish I was as good as that, but that is a characteristic of many dives and so I assume that I will get there one day.

detroit diver once bubbled...

Let me ask you a question- In a low visibility situation, what happens when you do the vertical spin move that you referred to?

Not sure what the "vertical spin" is, but I am assuming that if you are in a low vis situation, there is not much you are going to accomplish by looking up.

You have to forgive me...the ship I was on was 1092 feet long and if you surfaced underneath it you would be a bit surprised at your newfound overhead enviroment. I actually stood under it when it was in drydock once...very very impressive. It would be an interesting dive though.

Just my first impression from watching those vidoes...it sort of jumped out at me, and I thought since this was a DIR thread, I would ask about it here.

Oh, and one other question...someone mentioned a lift bag...why do you use that during an ascent like that?

Knavey once bubbled...

Just talking about the basic premise of checking what you are coming up underneath! I practice my skills in the pool in my inlaws back yard when my wife and I have been out of the water for a while and we even ensure that we are doing it there.

I have never been taught the horizontal ascent since I only have basic OW and AOW. I was impressed with the bouyancy control in those set of films, and I wish I was as good as that, but that is a characteristic of many dives and so I assume that I will get there one day.

The basic point of ascending horizontally is that in this position you will better be able to control your rate of ascent. By staying horizontal, you create the greatest amount of drag in the vertical direction, which makes it easier to control and adjust your buoyancy as you go up. Controlling buoyancy is a more important consideration than worrying about hitting your head on the boat, especially if you're deeper than 10 or 20 feet. In most cases you do not need to worry about hitting the bottom of a boat until you are quite shallow. Then, as you approach the surface at the end of the dive with your buddy, each of you can look up above the other and help each other avoid any obstructions.

As far as learning buoyancy control as shown in these video clips, it can be taught to basic OW divers. It's hard to learn on your own. Mastery won't come automatically just from diving, you have to think about what's happening and practice ways to be in control. Buoyancy control is one of the "fundamental" skills taught in the GUE Fundamentals class.

Knavey once bubbled...

Oh, and one other question...someone mentioned a lift bag...why do you use that during an ascent like that?

A few reasons I know, and there are probably more -

1 - a reference line for ascents - especially important when deco is involved
2 - let surface support know where you are

SS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom