DIR from the start? Zeagle Express Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sry... I missed a couple of statements.
Fundamentally, I answered the OP's question (is the ET compatible with DIR standards). You did not.
Your posts had some misleading information about the ET. Mine did not.

Sidemount is irrelevant--
I kind of expected this kind of answer based on the fact that your BP lacks the required scalability. Somehow, I am certain that GUE will at some point embrace side mounting. I believe UTD already has to some degree. And yes, the ET is the optimal solution for me to side mount in. I love it! There are a few other solutions that work equally as well for others. That being said, I have never, ever seen a BP solution for sidemounting that worked. I tried one and was underwhelmed. BTW, how many sidemount dives have you done and what do you use?

While you are discussing whether the ET is suitable for DIR, maybe the real question is: "Is DIR suitable for the ET?" If there are no compelling reasons to NOT use the ET, then why is not DIR? Perhaps a system that disallows a "perfectly acceptable BC if you dive singles" has a design flaw of its own? Perhaps the OP can tell us why he is attracted to DIR? Perhaps he can achieve his objectives by going down an alternate path? I certainly did.

Does GUE claim to even teach DIR anymore? It was my understanding that they have distanced themselves from the use of that term. Certainly, GUE has its roots in DIR, but are we overstepping the bounds by saying that only GUE divers can be called DIR? What about the Unified Team divers from the West Coast? I realize that Dan suggested that GUE is "quality control" and he was there at pretty much the outset. But really: who defines what is DIR? George? Jared? Andrew? I am not trying to piss off anyone or start a turf war, but its hard to keep up with all the players who are going in slightly different directions.

I am glad that this thread is not in the DIR forum, where we can't ask WHY backplates must be metal to be GUE compliant. Consider this question asked!

Silly me! It must be about some other BC! :D

As it is, some outlandish statements were made about the Express Tech. If peeps had avoided such misrepresentation, I would not have felt the need to post. When you post inaccuracies based on mere speculation you can find me as well as others pointing them out. Do you feel that I should allow such statements to go unchallenged just because I am not DIR? As it is, I don't find you disagreeing with my assertions that you are wrong... you just seem upset that I am not DIR and had the temerity to add my point of view.

This kind of reminds me of the discussions from early on with a few DIR divers. We were discussing why they said you had to be horizontal at all times, even during ascent. After we cut all the BS theories having to do with better off gassing and other such nonsense we were left with the ultimate reason: Because! :rofl3: It was like I was talking with my mother.

:D OK Pete, I'll play....but it will have to be in a few hours after a few meetings .... :)

:D OK Pete, I'll play....but it will have to be in a few hours after a few meetings .... :)
I look forward to it, Dan!

There is a rule in the GUE standards that states that backplates must be metal. I suspect it is there precisely because some people have claimed that the Transplate and its derivatives were fine for class and they wanted to clarify.
Just a point of clarification then ... the TransPlate is a metal plate. It's the harness that makes it not suitable for the DIR system.

I suspect you meant to say TransPac ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Does GUE claim to even teach DIR anymore? It was my understanding that they have distanced themselves from the use of that term. Certainly, GUE has its roots in DIR, but are we overstepping the bounds by saying that only GUE divers can be called DIR? What about the Unified Team divers from the West Coast? I realize that Dan suggested that GUE is "quality control" and he was there at pretty much the outset. But really: who defines what is DIR? George? Jared? Andrew? I am not trying to piss off anyone or start a turf war, but its hard to keep up with all the players who are going in slightly different directions.

I don't know for sure who the arbiter of this should be...though I think it should be George....
The way Bill and George and I see most of this, is that DIR was spread around to help bring common sense ideas to recreational divers, and we wanted them to adopt as many of these ideas as they could. We also wanted some of these to get really into DIR, and to potentially dive with us, or to join the WKPP and get mentored into DIR in the purest way possible....
Overwhelming growth of the idea, became far greater than WKPP could ever handle (for mentoring in DIR).....JJ finally created GUE, to teach DIR diving....this being almost 10 years ago now....in that time, growth and Agency Issues have modified some of our DIR practices.... If George and Bill and I planned a dive, it would be OUR dive plan, for us.....each of us knows the way the others handle stress and gas useage, and our approach to gas required on a 150 foot dive like the Hole in the Wall, is for "extreme slickness" in the big current dominant force, and the gas we believe we need to get up a buddy with a failure, safely.
There are differences between old DIR, and the new DIR or GUE planning...new planning is not for the 3 of us, but rather a model that is intelligent for use by many thousands of divers....the customization of tables is different, and there is more emphasis now on "perfect form" in a swimming pool....... over what we would have considered "perfect form" 80 feet into the hold of a shipwreck 280 feet deep, or "perfect form" on a Hole in the wall dive with 5 mph current, a dozen 10 foot bullsharks trying to say hi to us, and an ocean cave we want to explore....

I am glad that this thread is not in the DIR forum, where we can't ask WHY backplates must be metal to be GUE compliant. Consider this question asked!

Silly me! It must be about some other BC! :D

As it is, some outlandish statements were made about the Express Tech. If peeps had avoided such misrepresentation, I would not have felt the need to post. When you post inaccuracies based on mere speculation you can find me as well as others pointing them out. Do you feel that I should allow such statements to go unchallenged just because I am not DIR? As it is, I don't find you disagreeing with my assertions that you are wrong... you just seem upset that I am not DIR and had the temerity to add my point of view.

Pete, the guy said right in his original post he wanted to become DIR, that he liked our philosophy.....and he wanted to know how this particular BC would be accepted by DIR or GUE....
It is not a bp/wing design. A DIR diver with Halcyon bp/wing, will know how to help a DIR diver with an Oxycheck wing and backplate, but this is a different deal with this other type of BC...
A tangent...you know I like these :D....I recently had to get a Rescue cert, through PADI :D, for a project I am involved in now...
So here is a bp/wing diver, having to do a pretend rescue to a diver wearing an Express Tech BC.....I don't really know how he releases the weights, and the bc does not work like mine....if there is lots of time, no big deal, it can be figured out....the DIR idea though, is that a buddy team knows instantly how to deal with each other's gear, because it is nearly identical....this is HUGE! if the **** hits the fan...If you actually "need" the buddy.
So the Express tech is not intuitive enough to other DIR divers, and is outside their zone of knowledge, where it will remain. Because it does not have a steel backplate, it will be considered non-DIR, pretty much untill Jarrod or George or Casey or some other authority on DIR or GUE, dives one and proclaims it has evolved far beyond the other non-steel plate systems on the market....
In the early days, if George said such and such about diving, many would question, and argue, then try it, and see he was right....dead right....this went on for years, and after a while, it is human nature to just say, if this is his suggestion, lets just assume it is good, unless later given a reason to decide differently....

This kind of reminds me of the discussions from early on with a few DIR divers. We were discussing why they said you had to be horizontal at all times, even during ascent. After we cut all the BS theories having to do with better off gassing and other such nonsense we were left with the ultimate reason: Because! :rofl3: It was like I was talking with my mother.

Let's do this one at another time... the hydrostatic lung loading discussion....the one thing I will say now, is George and I could clear bubbles way faster than we were supposed to be able to, from the dopplers done on us after extreme profiles.....the horizontal position seems to have contributed to this, and particularly so on the major 6 hour bottom times they did at Wakkulla at 275, with 12 hour decos.

Last edited:
This discussion is "Introduction/Greets"? Wow. DIR has that effect no matter where.

This discussion is "Introduction/Greets"? Wow. DIR has that effect no matter where.

.. only because the OP specifically asked whether or not this particular BCD was OK for DIR.

The simple answer is "no" ... the "why" to that answer requires a bit more elaboration ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

.. only because the OP specifically asked whether or not this particular BCD was OK for DIR.

The simple answer is "no" ... the "why" to that answer requires a bit more elaboration ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This belongs in either the BCD or the DIR form. Not in intro/greets.

This belongs in either the BCD or the DIR form. Not in intro/greets.

Hey, the perfect intro to "all of us", is a nice big disagreement over DIR... I mean, what could be introduce each of us better? And as for you, I'm still pissed that you ruined Jurrassic Park :D

Back
Top Bottom