DIR/GUE gear updates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't dispute that its faster. But speed isn't everything.

For the JJ (and RB80) configurations with the long hose under the loop I think having a big BOV to throw over your head is potentially problematic. It would for sure conflict with a gag strap which does have proven utility (at least for a French navy study IIRC). Which is why my long hose is stowed like it is on my sidemount setup (stuffed). The only difference is that its clipped to necklace vs clipped off to a chest dring. I did unclip it and offer it once, but the diver bailed to their own gas adequately.
maybe I don't understand what you're saying. In one comment you plan bailout for a co2 incident but then are ok with a necklaced reg to go to. Plenty of folk who've had co2 issue described how hard/impossible that is to do. Not having a bov also deletes the option of your buddy switching your mentally impaired self to OC. An issue with hypercapnia, hypoxia, and hyperoxia.

The rb80 config with the long hose under the loop seems dumb till you put it in context. How many issues have to arise before the long hose comes out? Hint: it's a lot.

And even then the whole "toss it above your head" thing isn't really what's taught in class. It's more "switch to oc, take the loop out of your mouth, don't let go of it, donate, put it back in your mouth". It's not bad, really, and even less of a thing considering the above paragraph.

Needing to go to that long hose isn't somethings that's going to sneak up on you.

sorry for the confusion.
While I would like to think I carry enough BO for a modest CO2 event, I'm not sure its possible to survive a big CO2 event regardless of the OC volume carried. The only people I hear surviving these have very little or no deco and end up going straight to the surface.

Agree on the long hose not sneaking up on anyone, one reason why I am ok having it clipped off under my chin. I don't have to remove the loop to donate which is good because I quite like the gag strap. The flange keeps water out of the corners of my mouth when I scooter and the strap helps the whole DVS rotate with my head instead of making little gaps and leaks.

sorry for the confusion.
While I would like to think I carry enough BO for a modest CO2 event, I'm not sure its possible to survive a big CO2 event regardless of the OC volume carried. The only people I hear surviving these have very little or no deco and end up going straight to the surface.

Agree on the long hose not sneaking up on anyone, one reason why I am ok having it clipped off under my chin. I don't have to remove the loop to donate which is good because I quite like the gag strap. The flange keeps water out of the corners of my mouth when I scooter and the strap helps the whole DVS rotate with my head instead of making little gaps and leaks.
I also believe that having a bov makes one more included to bail out due to ease of use. On more than one occasion I've been on a working dive where my buddy went to oc for a bit to cool off and relax. I think there's value to that.

Last edited:
I also believe that having a bov makes one more included to bail out due to ease of use. On more than one occasion I've been on a working dive where my buddy went to oc for a bit to cool off and relax. I think thread value to that.
That's been one reason I've considered getting one, esp for cave diving where I have a boatload of BO. Also to make doing a brief backgas break easy. Although I don't believe in sanity breaths, if I think I need off the loop I'm not going back on unless I know exactly what the problem was. So far, despite some serious swimming/work dives in JB and one that was pretty strong in Bozell's I haven't ever felt like I am overdoing it on my axial scrubber. I have an 8lb radial too, just haven't had a chance to use it. In theory I should be even less likely to need to take an OC breath on that. but the Meg has a pretty good WOB compared to most CCRs. I don't know about the RB80 although I suspect its not great just due to the counterlung position and design.

If I bail on a wreck dive I am probably just going up. I usually only carry an 80 of bottom mix in the ocean, more than 2x what I need to ascend to my deco gas but not enough to hang around on the actual bottom very long (max max is 220ft or so, mostly shallower for these dives)

Back to the OP, since GUE has added the JJ CCR we now have a lot more stuff to compare and contrast, including with the RB80 and other CCRs :wink:

Last edited:
A shrimp is a wonderful thing. Golem is not the only importer in the states.

Then don't teach the class? It's kind of a big deal.

You're preaching to the choir. I've been hypercapnic and faced with switching from a know breathing reg to a backup. It's extremely difficult and took a lot of mental coaxing. It was the first order I placed, not necessarily the first item to arrive :)

I'm also with you about the long hose, so many things need to go bad before it comes out. At which point it should be on the ready.

What I'm not totally convinced on is a switch from a loop of possible tainted gas to backgas which may contain more of the same. Other than that, I love the fact I can do a 4 day trip (8 dives) @ 200'+ and only worry about topping off an o2 bottle each day (or every other with 2 o2 bottles). The hardest thing to source was Air for my 6cf suit inflation bottle :)

I love the fact I can do a 4 day trip (8 dives) @ 200'+ and only worry about topping off an o2 bottle each day (or every other with 2 o2 bottles). The hardest thing to source was Air for my 6cf suit inflation bottle :)
Nadwidny and I did 10 dives in 6 days between 165 and 205ft in Lake Huron and I think we boosted once on day 4 when our (dil and O2) pressures from transfilling where getting skimpy. Then again on the last day because we brought a booster and drive gas all that way we figured we might as well use them :p

Getting that much OC gas refilled would have basically been impossible with the limited compressors available in Presque Isle.

You're preaching to the choir. I've been hypercapnic and faced with switching from a know breathing reg to a backup. It's extremely difficult and took a lot of mental coaxing. It was the first order I placed, not necessarily the first item to arrive :)

I'm also with you about the long hose, so many things need to go bad before it comes out. At which point it should be on the ready.

What I'm not totally convinced on is a switch from a loop of possible tainted gas to backgas which may contain more of the same. Other than that, I love the fact I can do a 4 day trip (8 dives) @ 200'+ and only worry about topping off an o2 bottle each day (or every other with 2 o2 bottles). The hardest thing to source was Air for my 6cf suit inflation bottle :)
How much backgas are you using per dive (in cuft)? Wing, loop, whatever else that kevorkian machine needs.

How much backgas are you using per dive (in cuft)? Wing, loop, whatever else that kevorkian machine needs.

Dil and wing gas for a square profile 200ft wreck dive is about 7cf for me, can't imagine its much different for the JJ version.
6 or 7cf in my suit in cold water with some mid-water futzing
Perhaps 6 to 8cf of O2 depending on the total runtime (~70 to 100mins)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom