DIR Not Cool Enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Random thoughts for today:

I was reading through Dive Training yesterday (don't ask why...). Anyway, I am seeing more and more pictures in it of divers wearing a "Tech" setup. Almost always this is of a diver with like four different computers on his wrist, various unidentified danglies hanging from everywhere, and some brightly colored hose hanging out almost three feet from the diver.

I can never figure out the setup any of these guys are using, and then I started to ask myself: did they use these photos for the sole reason that they look complicated? Would a Hog. setup look too simple for these magazines who are mostly catering to recreational divers? Are they trying to sell Technical diving as this chaotic rig that's so convoluted they can't understand it? I guess this is the way most recreational divers think about Tech divers.

Also, does anyone else have an issue with how often these recreational magazines show divers with doubles etc? There just seems to be something wrong with a magazine that's teaching divers how to do a giant stride to (in the same pages) show divers in doubles deco-ing on an anchor line.

Tom

I think it's all in the numbers, Tom ... there are a lot more folks out there diving "Tech" who are not DIR than who are.

But perhaps the people who write these articles are not, themselves, tech divers and so it looks better to them to have pictures of people with lots of gear than those who use a minimalist approach ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Aren't threads/posts in this section supposed to be DIR related?? :coffee:

Questions can be anything, but answers are suppose to be DIR.

BTW, sometimes people just like to chat with others with similar mindset . I don't see anything wrong with it. I have posted mostly idle banter here before. Afterall, sometimes this place gets boring.

Hunter

It is DIR related. I wanted to know why nobody shows the DIR setup in mainstream mags. Sorry if I didn't ask about hose lengths, and boltsnaps :wink:

Tom

They do, or at least lots of rigs that are similar enough to pass for the casual observer.

They also show other things, like smiley happy people in tight fitting blue and yellow wetsuits wearing their masks on their forehead as they have fun frolicking in the sun.

Different strokes for different folks, as it were.

No surprisingly, since most of the world is not DIR magazines probably want to entertain people with more than just picutures of people dressed in black and looking all overly serious and intense.

R..

No surprisingly, since most of the world is not DIR magazines probably want to entertain people with more than just picutures of people dressed in black and looking all overly serious and intense.

R..

Yup ...

BobatAgateBeach.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I need to add a picture of me in my Fusion, X-shorts, orange wing, and Chuck Taylor tennis shoes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom