DIR People ticked me off again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was talking about expense . . . I figure my Cave 2 class came out to about $4500, excluding airfare.

.... Ouch ... :shocked2:

Henrik

I was talking about expense . . . I figure my Cave 2 class came out to about $4500, excluding airfare.

wowzers. Does it include everything else not related to the class directly (lodging, food, etc.)?

Well, it was $2K in tuition to the instructor, and tank rentals, fills, and boat fees added up to about another $1000. Van rental wasn't cheap, we had a room in High Springs and then paid for another in the Mill Pond (as well as covering David's expenses for that part of the trip). Food was really minimal.

Tuition in MX is higher, but includes tanks and fills and entries and doesn't require a boat. It's still not a cheap class, and I'm sometimes amazed that they do as much business as they do, considering that Full Cave from almost anybody else in the area is $800 to $1000.

Well, it was $2K in tuition to the instructor, and tank rentals, fills, and boat fees added up to about another $1000. Van rental wasn't cheap, we had a room in High Springs and then paid for another in the Mill Pond (as well as covering David's expenses for that part of the trip). Food was really minimal.

Tuition in MX is higher, but includes tanks and fills and entries and doesn't require a boat. It's still not a cheap class, and I'm sometimes amazed that they do as much business as they do, considering that Full Cave from almost anybody else in the area is $800 to $1000.

Q. Would you consider it better than another agencies full cave?

Q. Would you consider it better than another agencies full cave?

Hands down yes, I did GUE cave2 in MX wth KMD on this board.

Forgive my ignorance, but why are you diving off boats in Florida?

Forgive my ignorance, but why are you diving off boats in Florida?

Its approximately $75 day (total) to rent a pontoon boat from Edd to dive Hole in the Wall or Twin cave at the Mill Pond in Marianna. Nice caves and worth the boat trip. Unlike some other agencies GUE cave2 requires training at a minimum of 3 different caves and most instructors bump this number up. I think we dove at 6 different systems and a total of 8 different entrances.

So $25/day/person for the boat? Class is what, 5 days? Still hard to see the extra $1000 for cylinder rentals, gas fills, and boat. What gases are being used? I'm assuming just 32% and maybe some O2. A set or two of doubles / day? How does that add up to a grand?

For the trimix classes, where boat charters are more substantial and gas costs can be ugly, I could see higher costs, but I must be missing some expenses here.

In any case, no question these classes are $$$. Instructor fees aren't too bad, but once you add on all the extras (lodging, airfare, rentals, boats, gases, food, covering instructor expenses, etc), everything does add up. So far, for the few courses I've taken, I've been quite happy. That said, none of mine cost anywhere near $4000! :)

Its approximately $75 day (total) to rent a pontoon boat from Edd to dive Hole in the Wall or Twin cave at the Mill Pond in Marianna. Nice caves and worth the boat trip. Unlike some other agencies GUE cave2 requires training at a minimum of 3 different caves and most instructors bump this number up. I think we dove at 6 different systems and a total of 8 different entrances.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom