DIR Primary Reg Setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering...I'm looking to change to a Hogar. setup but I have one problem. I use one of those molded mouthpieces; which allows me to have a much more comfortable dive. However, it won't fit into the mouth of my buddy! If I swich to the 7 foot hose, there's not much point to it since my buddy won't be able to use my primary second stage anyways. That being said, has anyone encountered this problem? Also, does DIR have any restrictions or recommendation reguarding the use of cameras? Thanks

As far as the molded moutpiece on your 7ft hose: get rid of it. That will solve that problem. It does you no good if your buddy cant use that reg. Fogget aboud id!!!!! Get yourself a standard mouthpiece or a comfobite.

Is your mouth very big and your buddy very small?

Are you saying that the mouthpiece won't physically fit into your buddy's mouth?

A moulded mouth piece should still work but will be comfortable for you and not for your buddy. When sharing air, mouth piece comfort is not a priority.

divemed06:
Also, does DIR have any restrictions or recommendation reguarding the use of cameras? Thanks

Get a black housing. :)

K

PS: as to the reg question - I'm with Pipe on this one. The OOA buddy won't die from your custom mouthpiece... it just won't fit comfortably. But it will deliver gas to him/her in an emergency until you can safely surface... that's the important thing.

Mo2vation:
Get a black housing. :)

K

PS: as to the reg question - I'm with Pipe on this one. The OOA buddy won't die from your custom mouthpiece... it just won't fit comfortably. But it will deliver gas to him/her in an emergency until you can safely surface... that's the important thing.

I thought RED was the new color of the DIR crowd

The only caution I would add if you're set on a Seacure is to trim the back of it - sometimes people who have a very deep mouthpiece can gag on it. If you trim the back ends, it shouldn't affect your comfort level.

5615mike:
I thought RED was the new color of the DIR crowd

Only if you're O-Ring or JJ.

Has anybody ever seen them together...? They may be the same guy.

K

Boogie711:
The only caution I would add if you're set on a Seacure is to trim the back of it - sometimes people who have a very deep mouthpiece can gag on it. If you trim the back ends, it shouldn't affect your comfort level.

That's the problem, my mouthpiece is fine for me but makes my buddy gag...I guess I'll let him gag to the surface!

divemed06:
That's the problem, my mouthpiece is fine for me but makes my buddy gag...I guess I'll let him gag to the surface!
I would think that just trimming some off the back of it would make it better...There's nothing wrong with a custom mouthpiece (IMO) unless any other member on your team can't get it in their mouth the get gas out of it in an emergency...then you have issues.

LUBOLD8431:
As far as the molded moutpiece on your 7ft hose: get rid of it. That will solve that problem. It does you no good if your buddy cant use that reg. Fogget aboud id!!!!! Get yourself a standard mouthpiece or a comfobite.

This reg will be in your mouth 99% of the time, So make it comfy for you. I've used someone elses seacure for a whole dive and while its not the most comfy thing in the world I wouldnt turn it down if I was OOA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom