DIR & reef hooks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James, it's not for anything... but I've done fine without a reef hook til now... and even though I do hang on to a rock every now and then, I'm still trying to see if I can avoid that all together.

I'm still scheduled for the DIR-F classes next year, so I'm not familiar with their entire philosophy.

I've seen my friend with the reef hook... it looked like a good idea... I'm a bit worried about entanglement... but it didn't seem to be an issue.

It was just a thought...and I wanted to see if anyone knew the DIR stand on it. DIR may seem unforgiving most (if not all) the time... but they usually have some kind of reasoning behind it. Which is why I asked my question to begin with.

I may or may not decide on the reef hook in the future... for now, I'll be fine without it.

Thanks to everyone who replied! :)

WaterDawg once bubbled...

I dont remember anyone asking this question of you. Why does every thread on this board have a similar comment out of the blue?

Uhm, I don't know what crawled up your $$$, but, tell me what does my answer not have to do with the concept of DIR and reef hooks?

Crawl back under your rock now...

jplacson once bubbled...
James, it's not for anything... but I've done fine without a reef hook til now... and even though I do hang on to a rock every now and then, I'm still trying to see if I can avoid that all together.[

Don't get me wrong, I am definatly not anti DIR...I am pro positive thinking. The way I see it, you are saying the type of diving you do requires the occational "hanging on to a rock." Maybe you are an instructor and need to wait for your students or what not, doesn't matter, the point is you need to stop on a drift dive occationally and DIR doesn't cover this reality.

I'm still scheduled for the DIR-F classes next year, so I'm not familiar with their entire philosophy.

I'm jealous. No DIR classes anywhere near me....it's a shame, I'd love to do one, but my location doesn't seem to be on the map, DIR wise.

I've seen my friend with the reef hook... it looked like a good idea... I'm a bit worried about entanglement... but it didn't seem to be an issue.

Again, my point. You need to stop. You've seen a better way than you are using now...why does GI's opinon keep you from using it?

It was just a thought...and I wanted to see if anyone knew the DIR stand on it. DIR may seem unforgiving most (if not all) the time... but they usually have some kind of reasoning behind it. Which is why I asked my question to begin with..

On this I agree 100%...but you took an off coment statement from GI as gospel. I did not comment until that point. Someone said GI doesn't like any artificial stoppage on a drift dive. You've established that you need to occationally stop anyway....why would you not pick the most environmentally friendly way to do what you have to do anyway?

My point is THINK....GI doesn't spend most of his time on drift dives in the Pacific....maybe he is an expert on HIS type of diving...take the suggestions and decide for yourself what is best for YOUR type of diving...

James

jplacson:
I was just wondering what is DIR's stand on reef hooks?

There probably isn't one. But if you utilize the Hogarthian principles upon which DIR was founded, the recommendation would be to not carry one if you don't need it, but to carry one if you do.

I was told that a reef hook does a lot less damage to the reef than a diver's hand/finger so I was thinking of making one for myself out of a stainless steel S-hook and some climbing rope.

You're correct that a hook can cause less damage, but it really is predicated on the duration of the hold...if you're talking about an occasional, momentary stop, its better to skip the hook and just do good hand placements on dead coral. Reef hook's real value are for dive situations where you need to "hold on" for extended periods against the current - some of the diving in Palau and Galapagos comes to mind as examples.

BTW, climbing rope is overkill for a reef hook. Going with a thinner/lighter line makes it easier to stow when its not in use, plus its easier/faster to cut if something catastrophically bad happens. I'd consider a line in the 3/16ths size range, and no more than 200lbs max tensile strength.

... if there's a better way...etc..etc...

The better way is to know and understand what your objective requirements are and decide accordingly what is best for you.

While there are universal general trends, there is no absolute "one size always fits all": there is always the need for custom tailoring of something.

So when it comes to seeking advice of others, listen to what they say as well as from what background and perspective they're coming from. For example, since DIR's genesis was WKPP cave exploration, have they had the need for learning the best techniques to dive on Galapagos pinnacles? Maybe, maybe not. The bottom line is that various peoples' recommendations are going to be influenced by their experience and background, and to be impartially objective, such factors must be identified and parsed for their applicability to your background, experience and objective needs.

-hh

James, you're right... and I think I will bring that up when I take my DIRF classes.

hh, I have a concern regarding possible entanglement in the reef hook line... could this be why DIR doesn't recommend reef hooks?

BTW, I'm NOT an instructor... :lol: ... far from it... I would like to be a DM some day... for now, I'd just like to learn as much as possible from everyone. :)

I'm even thinking of just using a plain hook with a handle and do without a line all together... at least that'll remove the potential entangement issue right?

Follow Dan Gibson's advice and go check out that thread on reef hooking. Ignore all the other posturing and arguing and make up your own mind. IMO, you don't need to even address whether or not a reef hook is DIR to decide whether or not it is a safe practice.

Safety aside, I can't believe any diver would argue the position that them seeing some stupid fish is worth killing any part of our underwater world.

O-ring:
Safety aside, I can't believe any diver would argue the position that them seeing some stupid fish is worth killing any part of our underwater world.

I don't believe anybody did. Just because a person uses a reef hook doesn't mean they are going to start attaching it to live coral.

James Goddard:
I don't believe anybody did. Just because a person uses a reef hook doesn't mean they are going to start attaching it to live coral.
I just saw mention of Palau and immediately thought of the bozonity that goes on down there with killing reefs and divers and figured someone was thinking it.

"BTW, climbing rope is overkill for a reef hook. Going with a thinner/lighter line makes it easier to stow when its not in use, plus its easier/faster to cut if something catastrophically bad happens. I'd consider a line in the 3/16ths size range, and no more than 200lbs max tensile strength"

Army surplus stores have this great braided nylon cord. 3/16, and around 200lb test

jplacson:
Hello all!

I was just wondering what is DIR's stand on reef hooks?

I was told that a reef hook does a lot less damage to the reef than a diver's hand/finger so I was thinking of making one for myself out of a stainless steel S-hook and some climbing rope.

But I'd like to know what the DIR stand is for these things... if there's a better way...etc..etc..

Thanks! :)

Dunno anything about DIR except what I read on this board (never even heard of it before coming here).

But back to your question, I always have a reef hook with me. I use it for hanging on ledges where there are strong currents. I have used it on top of wreaks that are in very strong waters.

And most importantly, I like having it if I have to stop in a strong current to help another diver who is on a hook or caught up in something. Its the "what if" factor that keeps me caring a reef hook on my BC, even if I don't intend to use it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom