DIR & reef hooks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, my current decision is... I will carry a reef hook... but won't use it unless it's an emergency. I just read that article and that really sucks. And I totally agree that divers aren't trained enough. Drift dives should only be done with divers who have a lot of experience with drift dives. I've been in some strong currents... some enough to break the seal of my mask and let water in... but nothing strong enough to rip my reg from my mouth (either that or I just have a stronger bite! :lol: )

Drift divers should be required to carry sausage markers, and should know how to use/deploy them properly. Divers should also know proper navigation and have the proper equipment.

I may keep a reef hook on me from now on... but I'd rather learn how to ride the currents properly instead of anchoring away. What got me interested in all this was that during a drift dive, our group stopped for a while to wait out a sudden surge... a friend of mine brought out a reef hook and just anchored away. During another drift dive, some DIR friends of mine, could just hover motionless in the current while the rest of us had to find rocks to hang on to... these guys were just hovering above the rest of us... twitching their fins every now and then...without hanging on to anything.

So I may keep a reef hook on me just in case... like my knife... only for emergencies.

I also carry a .5 inch cargo type strap rolled up in my BC pocket with brass swivel snaps on each end. Comes in handy in low viz/no viz. Bought it at home depot and sewed on the brass swivel boat snaps on both ends.

Yes, I carry a lot of stuff with me (Zeagle Tech).

Reef hooks are very useful toys, but not sure discusing their use in a DIR forum is strictly applicable, ok GI doesnt like them but then he's doing a different kind of diving and it would appear he doesnt know how to use one.

Main use i found is not so much drift dives but what i would term ledge dives. Drop into the blue upcurrent of the ledge or reef slope then let the current carry you onto the reef where you find a nice rock or dead coral head to hook onto. Very good for camera or video as you now have both hands free. The thing to watch, is that you inflate bc slightly to lift you off the reef, but if your hook comes free then you need to deflate fast and kick down.

Why would you do all this? Being a few feet away from big Baracuda and sharks patroling the reef is pretty well worth it :). The alternative is kicking like mad, no way in this current, holding on, problaby more impact than the hook.

Both my buddy and i use them and some times it is quite handy if sorting a problem out to simply hook on sort it out then continue again, lazy yes but it works.

I think the answer is in the following quote, from above:

"During another drift dive, some DIR friends of mine, could just hover motionless in the current while the rest of us had to find rocks to hang on to... these guys were just hovering above the rest of us... twitching their fins every now and then...without hanging on to anything."

With a reef hook, you have to:

1. Carry the thing around with you when it's not in use.
2. Manage the hook when it's deployed.
3. Touch the marine life (not good for you or them).
4. Clean up another piece of gear when you get home.
5. Get your panties in a bunch when you misplace/leave behind/get stolen your "cool reef hook."

Or... The other option is to adopt a set of skills and a gear configuration that works...

1. FREE.
2. Nobody can take them from you (and you can't leave them behind).
3. The skills are tremendously useful even when you're not in a current.
4. No marine life killed; no sea urchins stuck in the palm of your hand.
5. The skills take up no space, don't require a pocket, and are amazingly streamlined.
6. You'll never have to cut your skills to get free of entanglement.
7. Great grape flavor. :D

using a reef hook in a strong current over a very deep wall, a great way to sit there and watch the life go by.

you can tell by the bubbles how strong the current is

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom