DIR rig problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...get a ****load of bungie and wrap that wing up tight so it squeezes all the air out of it...then you know it is empty.

Honestly,
I have had some problems getting ALL the air out of the wing at times - and have to rach back, on occassion and grab the wing to be sure its fully deflated, or put myself in a head down position and pull the rear dump valve to get remaining air out.

Guess maybe thats why some advocate the OMS Bungeed wings, huh?

Guess maybe thats why some advocate the OMS Bungeed wings, huh?

Yeah, I think the Local 312 Funeral Home Directors and the Association of Gravediggers are pretty big supporters of bungees on wings...

I do kind of a "dog hump" and yank the dump if I feel myself rising too fast on ascent. Other than that, I don't dump much at depth.

Keep in mind that in order to vent all gas from a U shaped bladder you may have to come slightly head up, drop your right side down and then go back to a head down position to move the air on the right side to the left so it can be vented.

Or you can solve this inconsequential "problem" by adding bungees and then go down the rat hole of having to solve a host of significant, dangerous problems introduced by the bungees.

Roak

I do the maneuver you describe, but I'm confused about the purpose of the elastic band that holds the inflator hose on the harness. How much hose sticks out from this? If it's attached near the inflator, it's hard to vent. So, does it go partway up the hose, or do you remove the hose from the elastic to vent?

Hal,
I can e-mail you some DIR pics of this if you e-mail me your e-mail address....

Yes, the bungee cord around the inflator hose does restrict you from putting the hose totally vertical up and down, but, thats not necessary to vent your air out...usually just UP is enough to do so...the reason for this is so that the inflator hose does NOT get away from you and up behind your shoulder and head so you can't just reach for it and find it right there on your left chest.

The bungee goes through the stainless steel slider that your left chest D-ring goes thru. The D-ring is usually positioned like just below your left clavicale - collar bone area. Not any lower than that, as far as I understand it. Thats where mine is and it works great.

No, as it is, sometimes I bump the back of my head on the valve/1st stage now - I keep the K-valve about mid neck height...

I've got links to Northeast DIR, EE, etc., but I was just curious about how much of the corrugated hose is below the bungee (and thus free to be lifted upward).

Appreciate your clarification above.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom