DIR the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Offshore

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
At the risk of being told "no soup for you", I confess I am a relatilvely newly certified diver who has read tons of threads here and elsewhere, and before I invest too much more in gear, training and diving experience, would like to make sure I "do it right" and simple the first time.

For those who really believe DIR is the best overall approach for all diving, not just cave and technical but also recreational, atlantic wreck, dutch springs, and any other type of dive, what do you recommend?

It sounds like OP is asking for gear recommendations. If so, pick up a copy of a book called "Dress for Success" by Dan MacKay. It's an excellent resource that talks about how to pick out a good bcd systems (backplate and wing), exposure protection, fins, regulator, etc.

More detailed recommendations will come from some of the "veterans" if more details around the nature of the question is provided.

Find out who teaches Fundies in your area -- or at least closest to you. Contact that instructor to get recommendations about a basic setup that will serve you well. See if you can find some DIR divers in your area who will help you get some dive experience, until your basic buoyancy is pretty good (eg. can swim at 20 feet without corking) and then take Fundies.

Although much obsessing is done over gear by people who discuss DIR, it is only one of four important parts of DIR diving. Buoyancy control, basic skills, and situational awareness are just as big (or bigger) parts of DIR diving as a rational and useful gear configuration is.

TSandM:
...Buoyancy control, basic skills, and situational awareness are just as big (or bigger) parts of DIR diving as a rational and useful gear configuration is.
Buoyancy control IS a basic skill :D

At any rate, she's right. So's Pug - it's not about the gear.

While the book recommended is certainly helpful, you will be leaps and bounds ahead of most folks who go the DIR route if you buy the training to find out what the gear recommendations are.

Trying to get this information from most any source other than a DIR instructor (especially the internet) will end up leaving gaps in your knowledge. The biggest gap you will be left with has nothing to do with gear, however :wink:

I must confess... all the folks are correct.

While the book is a good resource, the gear it recommends pales when compared to the skills taught by a qualified instructor.

Offshore,

There's so much more to DIR than just equipment configuration. DIR complient equipment is the most visible aspect of our "philosophy."

Since you're in NY, you should contact Bob Sherwood about Doing It Right. He's your local GUE representative (same state!), and his shop's website is: http://www.allaboutscuba.com. Personally, I had an incredible experience training with Bob for my Fundamental skills, and wouldn't hesitate working with him for future training. He also has an online forum, and you can find it here: http://www.ne-ue.com.

The greatest thing about SB, is that there's so much information here. Have fun in the DIR forum!

Best,
Mike

ps-tell him Mike from Nashville said hi.

Offshore:
At the risk of being told "no soup for you", I confess I am a relatilvely newly certified diver who has read tons of threads here and elsewhere, and before I invest too much more in gear, training and diving experience, would like to make sure I "do it right" and simple the first time.

For those who really believe DIR is the best overall approach for all diving, not just cave and technical but also recreational, atlantic wreck, dutch springs, and any other type of dive, what do you recommend?

Try to find some more experience DIR divers and go dive with them. Look at what they do and ask about everything you notice.

Offshore:

If you want to DIR, then buy DIR-compliant gear and take DIR-F before you take any other courses. They are currently making some changes to it, so I'd recommend you consult an instructor about those changes. For example, I've heard some talk on these forums that nitrox cert may be added to DIR-F (and if not, then it's still covered in tech 1), so you might want to wait before taking nitrox and maybe ask an instructor what his advice would be about that.

On whether DIR is the overall best approach, that sort of depends on what you want from it. I personally like it, but it's very demanding and has some limitations (if you follow it to the letter). For example, it's not meant for solo diving or deep air diving, and may be overkill for someone solely interested in rec diving (just my opinion).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom