DIR wanna-be's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

db8us:
There are people who:
-Are GUE trained and use Halcyon and are NOT DIR
-Are GUE trained and use XY and are DIR
-Use Halcyon,etc and ARE DIR
-use XY and ARE DIR
and all other combinations of training/certs/equipment/skills/attitidue/divehistory/knowledge/experience etc.
that are DIR or are not DIR....

Which raises the question: What is DIR and who claims to ste the standards.
But that would fill another thread with 10 pages :)

Michael, on the way to DIR

Very good post Michael. I prefer to tell people when the subject comes up that I'm "GUE trained" and try to refrain from using the term "DIR". Yes I've been through a few GUE classes and yes I'll be taking more GUE training next year. However, does all that training make me "DIR"...not at all. Someone who truly wants to consider themselves "DIR" will become a student of the training. They will get some experience dives under their belt and then continue the education process. While others will never get it because they just want a cool label and to be "part of the club".

Oh, and if Michael says he's only "on the way" to DIR, than this conversation is over, because he's as "DIR" or more "DIR" than just about anybody on this board.

Just read Mo2Vations post over and over again until it sinks in.

Here, let me give you a perfect example: I am a second degree Balck Belt in Tae Kwon Do, and hold two other black Belts in other sytles. I have studying Martial Arts all my life. In my early 20's I was a national Champion. So what, big deal right? Right but here's the point: I have tons of experience and still I consider a brand new White Belt a Martial Artist. A Martial Artist in Training..sure but if he or she is following our teachings and "doing it right" then he or she is a martial artist. Just because that person doesn't hold the same rank as me or have my experience doesn't mean they are some wanna-be's, they're learning, they're following our lead, they are "doing it right." If they use what is taught to them in the manner that we taught it, if they have respect for the people with experience then they are "one of us" period. Am I a wannabe 3rd degree black belt? Is my Master Instructor a wannabe Grand Master? Is Uncle Pug a wannbe JJ? I wouldn't call him that.

Get it?

boomx5:
Very good post Michael. I prefer to tell people when the subject comes up that I'm "GUE trained" and try to refrain from using the term "DIR". Yes I've been through a few GUE classes and yes I'll be taking more GUE training next year. However, does all that training make me "DIR"...not at all. Someone who truly wants to consider themselves "DIR" will become a student of the training. They will get some experience dives under their belt and then continue the education process. While others will never get it because they just want a cool label and to be "part of the club".

Oh, and if Michael says he's only "on the way" to DIR, than this conversation is over, because he's as "DIR" or more "DIR" than just about anybody on this board.

Now I'm lost (no trolling intended) If a diver learns all he/she can about the art of diving, from all the agencies, and is an exceptional diver , can that diver be concidered DIR.

Or is the term DIR only a GUE trained diver?

(if this question offends anyone ,just ask me to leave)

novadiver:
Now I'm lost (no trolling intended) If a diver learns all he/she can about the art of diving, from all the agencies, and is an exceptional diver , can that diver be concidered DIR.
No

novadiver:
No....But heres the rub

DIR is a set of policies and procedures for diving, supported by a very specific equipment configuration.

So if you follow the "rules" you can be DIR..(Even JJ says that DIR is bigger than GUE)

IMO...in reality...the GUE trained diver would be more likely to be DIR (or close to it), than other agency trained divers, but that does not discount the fact that they could be DIR.

novadiver:
(if this question offends anyone ,just ask me to leave)
Didn't offend me.

JeffG:
No

No....But heres the rub

DIR is a set of policies and procedures for diving, supported by a very specific equipment configuration.

So if you follow the "rules" you can be DIR..(Even JJ says that DIR is bigger than GUE)

IMO...in reality...the GUE trained diver would be more likely to be DIR (or close to it), than other agency trained divers, but that does not discount the fact that they could be DIR.

Didn't offend me.
Now that's food for thought! I tend to agree with, and to like, that thinking!

melfox26:
First of all, I'm not GUE trained......yet, just want to lay that out. I'm currently doing my divemaster training, and have signed up for DIR-F in early December after I finish my DM cert.

Just wanted to see where you GUE trained guys/gals stood on people claiming to be DIR when they haven't been trained, have a brand new BP which they haven't dove on yet and needs help with the fit (hint to who this is), as I've run across a "wanna-be" in a different forum.

Maybe this belongs in the "whine and cheeze" forum instead, or just the "basic scuba discussions" , as it certainly applies. I just don't like people claiming to be something they're not, I don't put "divemaster" under my name because I haven't achieved that yet.

In my opinion, you have to earn your stripes before you can wear them.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver
PADI Divemaster Candidate

What is GUE and what is DIR?

novadiver:
If a diver learns all he/she can about the art of diving, from all the agencies, and is an exceptional diver , can that diver be concidered DIR.

I think this an a great question.

In an article of Quest GUE cave training director David Rhea stated that in order to be DIR one must a.) Be GUE trained or b.) undergo an apprenticeshipp w/ and organiation such as the WKPP.

WaterDawg:
I think this an a great question.

In an article of Quest GUE cave training director David Rhea stated that in order to be DIR one must a.) Be GUE trained or b.) undergo an apprenticeshipp w/ and organiation such as the WKPP.

Sounds like 'ol George Irvine isn't DIR then :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom