DIRF, A Sobering Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only recently moved down here from the UP, and learned about the whole mess via internet when Irvine first started talking about it about 1995 or so. Some people don't understand that by living in northern Michigan, you may as well be in the Swiss Alps trying to find a decent dive shop (or any dive shop), truly knowledgeable instructors, or good information/advice. It ain't happening up here! We have some awesome diving up here along with great scenary, but that's about it.

:)

Mike

The city i live near has two dive shops, not many of those in northern lower, so you can guess what city.

We have a running joke that to own a LDS in this area you must get all common sense & tact sucked out of your brain first.

Then you go to class to learn to profess that the lines your competitors sell are all crap. Only the lines you sell are the "good stuff."

You finally qualify for LDS ownership when you learn the truth about scuba instruction. That it is a necessary evil required to sell scuba whistles, bells, widgets & bobbles. Only instructors get rich off of classes after all.

Now that you are a full fledged dive LDS owner, you qualify to lead trips to exotic places for your clientele. Traveling essentially for free since your customers owe at least that much to you just for being in business.

Quite amazing really.

I found this thread quite interesting. I also liked the general attitude of the DIR folks that posted here. No, I'm not a DIR diver, probably never will be, I've even been called a stroke, I'm quite proud of that. I didn't read every post in it's entirety, but I believe I got the general gist of things. I believe that any training that enhances our skills and adds new ones will make us safer divers. I don't have to be DIR to acknowledge that fact.

I practice some basic OW safety skill nearly every time I dive. I try very hard to have good bouyancy. Is it easy? No, I only get to dive a few times each year, but I know I am better than the majority of divers I see out there. It's still not good enough, but I keep working on it. I nearly always practice a mask removal and replacement. I try many different kicking techniques. After watching the videos on the fifthd web site, I have some more to try out. They look interesting. I've had someone come up to me out of air before. They didn't signal out of air or wait for me to give them my regulator, they just took it out of my mouth. The OOA practice is OK if you are with someone that cares about your safety. Otherwise, let the person you have never seen before in your life have your primary and just use your octopus, you surely aren't getting your primary back.

There are some things I like about my gear and some that I don't. I like my Scubapro BC that I bought 14 years ago. I think I'll keep it for a while. I also like my Scubapro regulators, but I don't like the length of my hose, the hose tends to pull the 2nd stage out of my mouth. One day, I intend to fix that with a different hose. Will a 7 ft hose fix it? Maybe, but it may make it worse. I need to try it out to decide. I use an Air 2, you can say its a terrible reg all you want. I like it and will continue to use it. I love my Jet fins, but I hate the rubber straps. I want to fix that too. I watched the videos on the fifthd web site and they were using something else. I would like to see what those fin straps are to decide if I would like to try them out.

The point is that we can all improve our skills. Lost Yooper was humbled by his experience in a difficult skills class. I am sure I would be as well. I wouldn't stop diving because of it and I am glad he decided to continue. I dive for fun. I will never, never go into any deep dark holes. I also know my limitations and stay well within my own personal limits. To understand that, my friends, takes some maturity. And we can always use a little more maturity when it comes to diving and staying safe.

DennisW once bubbled...

I practice some basic OW safety skill nearly every time I dive. .......I love my Jet fins, but I hate the rubber straps. I want to fix that too. I watched the videos on the fifthd web site and they were using something else. I would like to see what those fin straps are to decide if I would like to try them out......

Dennis,

First off, you're one of the very few who ever practice their skills. It amazes me how many people jump into the water after not diving for 6 months or a year and just go diving.

Second, the straps you're referring to are spring straps and they're available from the fifthd site, or any halcyon dealer. Extreme Exposure also carries them.

Dive safe,

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom