DIRF and swim test

DIRF -- swim test?

• Yes

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cast55 once bubbled...
Yes, we are diving and not swimming, but look at it from this perspective:

Your swimming strength and endurance are going to bear directly on the speed with which you can respond to a surface emergency, and your ability to swim a disabled diver to medical attention.

While I agree with this to an extent, I do not think swimming is a good measure of how someone in full scuba gear is going to get someone else in full scuba gear to the shore or boat in an emergency.

While lifeguards have to swim their vitctims to shore, scuba divers tow or push their divers while in scuba gear....and I know swimming in my full wetsuit is a whole lot harder than kicking with fins on.

So swimming ability bears some merit to rescue, but certainly not all. And as for out of shape....well if you first met me you would probably deem me out of shape....I mean I am 240 lbs and only 6 foot tall.

There are of course exceptions to any "rule'.....

....but all else being held equal, if you were in a life threatening position, wouldn't you PREFER someone who is a strong swimmer(faster, less likely to cramp up at the wrong time, etc.), who can swim at least one length of a 25 yard pool on a single breath hold, who is cardio-vascularly fit, etc., etc.?

There are plenty of great divers out there who don't meet the traditional guidelines of physically fit...but again, if you were starting from scratch and doing things the right way......

Something to ponder.

I think we all get the point....

We all just have differing opinions on how important the swimming part is...

at any rate, the swim test is something the instructors can use to initally evaluate and tailor the class for the student(s)

Just my thoughts (generally of very limited value :) ). I think Big-T that your point is well taken, the conditions we'd face in critical situation while diving would not likely require a clean, perfectly formed, freestyle (with gear, etc.). However, IMO, the balance tips toward the diver who is a provicient swimmer over the diver who can (on the more extreme example) can just make the swimming requirement doing some modified breast stroke with the head out of the water at all times. I say this, not because I'd expect the diver to have a bouancy concern (someone there probably has a working BCD) but because the proficient swimmer will, only naturally, not be as concerned about the swim (and may, but not necessarily will, be in better condition). In my experience, the more limited a person's swimming ability, the greater their general discomfort with the water. That's just one more concern I'd see added onto a stressful situation. All this said (sorry to be wordy :D ), I think gedunked is right about this being only one factor regarding dive buddies (ability to handle stress would have to factor into that mix). I'd still count a swim test as a great time for an instructor (any agency) to stand on the deck and evaluate the abilities of his/her students.

Yes,
We had to do both tests. There was one person in our class which had to redo the underwater part as he did not cover enough distance the first time. His second attempt directly afterwards was a lot better.

The test was done at the beach, it was surprising to see where everybody ended up :)

This was a combined dirf and tech-1 course (duration 7 long but pleasurefull days).

Of the 2 GUE courses I've taken, we only did a swim test for cave 1, but not fundamentals. Although, when I took DIRF, it was not a pass/fail like it is now.

I agree that it should be part of all the courses, I wouldn't dive with someone that couldn't swim. (and swimming 300 yds in 12-14 minutes barely qualifies as swimming IMO)

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom