DIRF Class Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a close to this report, I felt that I would post some final impressions. If there is anything that someone would like to know you can either post here and I will do my best to answer, or you can PM me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

My overall impression was that it was a great class. We had the opportunity of getting some very good information with a great student to instructor ratio. 7 students and 2 instructors for most of the class. I feel that EVERYONE regardless of skill level or number of years diving could learn something from this class. In my opinion, if you take this class and come away feeling that you learned nothing at all, then your mind is closed to new ideas and you will likely stagnate.

DIR is not about gear. It is not about holding an elite diving status. It is more about questioning the way we do things and finding ways to improve, whether it be skill, equipment, attitude, or even your physical conditioning.

If you take a DIRF class, some suggestions for you:

• TAKE NOTES! I was the only one in my class that I noticed doing this. I jotted just a single page of notes in my dive log binder, and that was my reference for writing this report. No matter how good your memory is, notes are still helpful 6 months later.
  • IT'S NOT ABOUT THE EQUIPMENT! All the dive gear in the world won't make you a better diver. That takes time and practice and dedication. If you want to get the most from the class, dive in equipment you are familiar and comfortable with. You can change all your gear over to Halcyon, etc. when you get home and can practice with it in detail. You have a limited amount of time in class to sort out your bouyancy before you start doing skills and new gear just makes this harder to do.
  • GET PLENTY OF REST These guys do this every day and make it look effortless. I can almost guarantee you they will wear you out to some extent.
  • PLAN FOR YOURSELF Bring a cooler with snacks, drinks whatever you think you may need. Depending on where you are you may not have much chance to go get something. If you do have time, great. If not, be prepared! Our classes ran longer than scheduled every single day, yours might too.
  • BRING A BUDDY When you get back home it will be much easier to continue practicing your skills if you have a buddy who knows where the bar is supposed to be also.
  • PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Practice before you get there. Practice after you leave. The hardest thing they will ask you to do is nothing. Just hover in the water in horizontal trim while maintaining bouyancy and remaining above a fixed point on the bottom. Use as little movement as possible to accomplish this. Trust me, it's harder than it sounds. PRACTICE! You'll thank me for it later.

As far as bang for the buck goes this is one of the best. Except from my original OW class which taught me all the basic skills, and perhaps my cave class, no other class that I have taken has given me as much knowledge and as many tools to improve my overall diving as the DIRF class did.

If this post pursuades anyone to take the class, I would love to hear from you and compare your experience to mine. Good luck and safe diving to all of you!

Thank you so much for the time you invested into this report. The detail was very helpful and gave all of us some tools to work with until we get into a class, or just to work on if one didn't want to take the class and just wanted to be a better diver.

Chad

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
Thank you so much for the time you invested into this report. The detail was very helpful and gave all of us some tools to work with until we get into a class, or just to work on if one didn't want to take the class and just wanted to be a better diver.

Chad

It was my pleasure. Just hope everyone realizes that I barely scratched the surface of the class and in no way does my report fully do justice to the class itself, and the information I put into it is in NO way a substitute.

I think everyone understands that. But I think the information you provided is great for the people who don't know if the class is for them. They can work on the skills you discussed and become a better diver. That might lead them to want the class to improve further.

Chad

Just wanted to add a thank you in to Lance for letting me know that there was going to be a DIRF class this close. He knew that I had at least a cursory interest in taking it, and he provided the details that let me make the arrangements to take it so quickly.

As they say, timing is everything...

Thanks for the detailed report. Being a new diver (OW certified in May 2002), I have been wondering what exactly DIR is and what the Fundamentals class was like. I naturally seem to hold my legs at that 90 degree angle (already had others tell me - it is so wrong). So, I was glad to read your information on "trim". Thanks.

I finally got a copy today of the video shot during our pool session while we were practicing/demonstrating skills. My goal is to put a few of the video clips on a web page so that anyone who is interested in seeing exactly what a class looks like will have the opportunity.

I leave for vacation on the 8-29 and won't return til 9-10, so maybe a week or so after that I will have it up and running.

Back
Top Bottom