Disappointed from Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been to the New Guinea subcontinent twice --contracted Dengue Fever in New Britain (Walindi) 2001; and Impetigo -entire body full skin infection-on a two week liveaboard from N. Sulawesi (Lembeh) to Halmaherah/Raja Ampat and W. Papua (Sorong) 2006.

The diving & Marine/Invertebrate Life was fantastic as noted above . . .but damn! For me, something about that subcontinent's potent microbiology vectors makes me reluctant to return.

Dengue fever, ugh.. And getting it in a dive trip, a nightmare! Since I work in remote parts of Indonesia and PNG, it's been a wonder that I have not been infected with it.

Getting back to OP comments. I found as a novice diver with less than ~150 dives, I missed so much in the underwater world. From big fish to small invertebrates, either I was going to fast or I lacked spatial awareness. Now, I hesitate to ask someone about their dive, unless I know them well as a diver.

Best prevention at the moment is to avoid being bitten by that particular mosquito that carries Dengue.

GVI in North Carolina is close to finalising a vaccine against the four different serotypes. Despite the toxicity I burn coils whenever possible, use various anti-insect sprays and a mosquito net.

Oh wow! Complete and total bummer!!!
Been to the New Guinea subcontinent twice --contracted Dengue Fever in New Britain (Walindi) 2001; and Impetigo -entire body full skin infection-on a two week liveaboard from N. Sulawesi (Lembeh) to Halmaherah/Raja Ampat and W. Papua (Sorong) 2006.

The diving & Marine/Invertebrate Life was fantastic as noted above . . .but damn! For me, something about that subcontinent's potent microbiology vectors makes me reluctant to return.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2014 at 03:51 PM ----------

Although we love RA, Palau was pretty awesome as well. If you haven't been there I would go for sure!
I did a liveaboard for 8 days and by the end, I had to tell my DM to stop showing me pigmy seahorses! Though I haven't dove that much, I thought the diversity was excellent and thinking of going back instead of going to Palau

My husband and I just returned from a Raja Ampat trip on the Dewi Nusantara. We certainly didn't have the same experience you did and if you do decide to give it another shot, highly recommend this boat and crew.

I did a liveaboard for 8 days and by the end, I had to tell my DM to stop showing me pigmy seahorses! ...

So, puncho, you have also developed PSF (Pygmy Seahorse Fatigue)! I told my guides many years ago not to show me any pygs unless they find something new or very special.

I took 2 groups out by LOB in November. Plenty of pygs. Remembering 3 different kinds within a few feet of each other. That was the only site where I went to look at the pygs they found.

For sure now a long 11+ days LOB is better, otherwise one is trapped in a small area, the closest to Sorong, with many resorts diving the sites around Dampier Strait.

Trips can vary. For example in November lots of BRO on the first trip guests were finding them, guides were finding them. Then none on the second trip. We dived many of the same dive sites both trips.

2014 was an outstanding year for us in Raja Ampat. I take mostly extremely experienced, well traveled, divers (12 max.) and got comments like "This one dive was worth the total cost of the trip and all the travel." and "I made 6 dive trips this year. On a scale 1-10, this trip is a 10 and all other trips only a 6."

Sometimes people, especially divers with little experience, can't appreciate a dive trip as they don't have the background to notice things, or even know that their dive guide has shown something rare.

Raja Ampat is known for it's variety and diversity. If one only wants to see macro subjects, there are places to go that concentrate on critters. This year, because of the conditions, we did more wide angle dives than average in Raja Ampat.

Guests are posting photos and I'm sharing them on my FB page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raja...ty-Seahorse-Specialty-Dive-Trips/233210849481 , but some won't be seen for a while until the uw competitions are finished.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom