Disconnecting First stage underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point...in water 100% O2 wouldn't be an issue. I would hope he was using O2 cleared regs so there shouldn't be a problem...

Mike

I was told in OW to never get water into the first stage.
BTW, If he was using nitrox, would there be a high risk of explosion due to the increase of O2? I haven't used nitrox, but had been told of such problems. Don't know if it is true, so could someone enlighten me?

If filling an enriched air cylinder with blended gas 40% or less O2, explosion is probably not a big concern. However, if a cylinder is being filled using the partial pressure method this is much more serious. The partial pressure method of filling Nitrox cylinders introduces 100% O2 into the cylinder. This would raise the risk of fire or combustion from contamination in the valve or cylinder.

I was talking to someone and he says that while cave diving if he carries more stage/deco bottles then he has regulators, he would actually disconnect the regs underwater and switch it to another tank that he would then use.
This pegs my BS meter.

Is it technically possible? Say if you had some kind of circumstance (call it poor planning) where your deco bottle had a faulty first stage and you really need to get at the gas in that deco bottle. Would it even work to switch regulators while underwater? Of course, the first stage (and beyond?) would probably be hosed at that point. Small price to pay if it is a life or death situation.

Is it technically possible? Say if you had some kind of circumstance (call it poor planning) where your deco bottle had a faulty first stage and you really need to get at the gas in that deco bottle. Would it even work to switch regulators while underwater? Of course, the first stage (and beyond?) would probably be hosed at that point. Small price to pay if it is a life or death situation.

Of course in the event of a failed regulator you can switch it out with another. However planning dives in this manner seems less than wise.

Jim

Zane is great...did he really grab what I thought he did when he was trying to take her hand?

Zane is great...did he really grab what I thought he did when he was trying to take her hand?
yes he did. In the pre PC world of today it was okay to make a mistake..........:D

I was talking to someone and he says that while cave diving if he carries more stage/deco bottles then he has regulators, he would actually disconnect the regs underwater and switch it to another tank that he would then use. Is this a common practice among cave divers with a lot of stage/deco bottles?

I was under the impression from Padi training that this was a big no no and could cause serious damage via dabree in the first stage. Another quick question, wouldnt this also cause water to enter your HP gauge and if so does it damage it?

Thanks in advance

Matt
That's, as some have so eloquently put it, "farm animal stupid." As far as gear damage is concerned, that's not the major issue in my mind, especially in fresh water.

That clip gives new meaning to the concept of the "boob-tube."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom