Disconnecting First stage underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetzjm01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was talking to someone and he says that while cave diving if he carries more stage/deco bottles then he has regulators, he would actually disconnect the regs underwater and switch it to another tank that he would then use. Is this a common practice among cave divers with a lot of stage/deco bottles?

I was under the impression from Padi training that this was a big no no and could cause serious damage via dabree in the first stage. Another quick question, wouldnt this also cause water to enter your HP gauge and if so does it damage it?

Thanks in advance

Matt

This makes no sense. If you are not able to carry the equipment for the dive you don't do it. Shortcuts like this kill people. I'd have to call shenanigans on this guy since bull-**** won't fly on here! It is possible and the regs would need serviced afterwards. PADI is geared towards recreational, not technical diving, which is what cave, deco, wreck penetration, deep wrecks etc are. There are a whole nother set of rules for those of us who like to push the limits and ourselves and are not content with looking at pretty fishies and doing only vacation dives in warm clear water. Cold, deep, and dark is where the cool stuff is for us. I'm not into caves myself but deep wrecks offer many of the same challenges other than a constant overhead environment and some other things. Deep wrecks offer tight passages, obligatory deco stops, sharp objects that like drysuits, and many times very cold water. In these types of environs you do what you need to to survive if the crap hits the fan because a direct ascent to the surface is often, if not always, a poor and perhaps dangerous option. But to purposely not put a reg on a tank and have to switch as a matter of the dive plan- guy is an idiot.

LOL Jim love the signature line on your posts.

I was talking to someone and he says that while cave diving if he carries more stage/deco bottles then he has regulators, he would actually disconnect the regs underwater and switch it to another tank that he would then use. Is this a common practice among cave divers with a lot of stage/deco bottles?

I was under the impression from Padi training that this was a big no no and could cause serious damage via dabree in the first stage. Another quick question, wouldnt this also cause water to enter your HP gauge and if so does it damage it?

Thanks in advance

Matt
Sounds like he is not really making sound decisions. Why would someone jump in water without ample equipment to finish the dive?

Nothing to do with cave diving, just not a wise thing to do.:shakehead:

Thanks in advance

Matt

To address the question concerning the equipment issue rather than the practice. One of the most damaging threats to your first stage is corrosion. Water should never be allowed to enter the first stage. This will most likely damage the high pressure seat of the first stage. Mounting the first stage to cylinders while underwater may also allow small particles of sand or other contaminates to enter the first stage causing abrasion to the HP seat.

The only instance I would do a transfer of a first underwater is if an attached regulator went funny and I needed to switch. Other than that, I voice the same message - what? All I can say is that his gauges (if he uses any) would be buggered, not to mention having to maintain the first stages on more than a constant basis. This fact alone, suggests complete lunacy. No one wants to pay extra to maintain regs. or buy new gauges. In other words, this guy is something strange. If anything, crazy dving is always interesting...as long as it doesn't affect someone else.

X

You should ask if he has ever practiced this parculiar task underwater...

Mike

I was told in OW to never get water into the first stage.
BTW, If he was using nitrox, would there be a high risk of explosion due to the increase of O2? I haven't used nitrox, but had been told of such problems. Don't know if it is true, so could someone enlighten me?

Not likely since you probably won't use Nitrox on a deco dive unless you use it at one of the deco stops. Nitrox is usually only explosive/dangerous above 40 percent O2.

Not likely since you probably won't use Nitrox on a deco dive unless you use it at one of the deco stops. Nitrox is usually only explosive/dangerous above 40 percent O2.

But, aren't we talking about deco/stage bottles here? I know often a deco mix is 100% o2.....and very often, if it's not an o2 bottle for deco, it's EAN with a high amount of the stuff! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom