disconnecting the suunto cobra dive computer from the first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to an LDS and have them show you.
Really what needs to happen for any hose changing is to get an appropriate sized crescent wrench and twist it counterclockwise to loosen the hose. Then hand screw it the rest of the way.

To replace, hand screw it fully, then connect the crescent wrench:
- put two fingers on the end and apply light pressure to snug it up. You shouldn't be able to hand loosen the hose afterwards, nor should you see the connection twist much when you snug it up w/ the wrench.
Make sure the hose O-ring is free of grit and isn't cracked or brittle.

You could use an adjustable crescent wrench to do all this, but if it isn't snug onto the connection you could possibly strip or damage your hose coupling (which just means it's now harder to change that hose)

There is no such thing as an 'appropriate sized crescent wrench'. By their very definition, they are adjustable wrenches and do not have a size. They tend to be sloppy and expand when pressure is applied to them which greatly increases the likelihood of rounding over the edges of the hose end. This is especially true of the low end Kmart specials. Get the proper sized wrench (spanner on his side of the pond) to help avoid connector damage. This is especially important when the hose has been over tightened in the first place since it will require excessive force to remove it. Same goes for the “all in one” scuba tools, those wrenches are way too thin to properly grip a hose end.

Last edited:
By the way, I have Suunto's quick disconnect on mine, and I have a second quick disconnect with plugs on it. That way I can remove the computer, and also plug the high pressure line (with the other, plugged quick disconnect half). That way if I'm diving on vacation with a shop that rinses my gear and stores it overnight, I can let them do that yet take my computer overnight to download my dives.

As others have said, get the right-sized non-adjustable wrench; otherwise you risk rounding "nut" edges...

i meant a screw smartass lefty loosey righty tighty

---------- Post added January 25th, 2013 at 01:22 PM ----------

thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom