discrepancy between computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happened to the Oceanic service complaint thread???

---------- Post added February 7th, 2015 at 05:54 PM ----------

Why have they never responded to my simple question regarding implementation of PZ+???

I'm still hopeful they will return my phone call (and computer). Oceanic has been analyzing it now for about 8 weeks or so..

Any news?

I have a VTX that is in violation during 2d dive and is set with same parameters as Oceanic VEO 3.0, which is fine - worn by same diver on same dives.

My buddy sold his Pro Plus 3 because it was also ridiculously conservative.

Last edited:
Any news?

I have a VTX that is in violation during 2d dive and is set with same parameters as Oceanic GEO 2.0, which is fine - worn by same diver on same dives.

Under what conditions does this occur?

Nitrox?
Default setting?

Under what conditions does this occur?

Nitrox?
Default setting?

Yes, both Nitrox, both Pelagic algorithm, both with no residual, ie both were set up exactly the same with the express purpose of testing for variation between NDL computation. Some margin of difference, say a few minutes, would have been expected, but to be different by about 30 minutes after just 2 tanks, same diver, is downright ridiculous.

This thread, plus my buddy's Pro Plus 3 experience, is what caused me to want to find out if the VTX was also plagued by the inconsistent Oceanic algorithm.

Yes, both Nitrox, both Pelagic algorithm, both with no residual, ie both were set up exactly the same with the express purpose of testing for variation between NDL computation. Some margin of difference, say a few minutes, would have been expected, but to be different by about 30 minutes after just 2 tanks, same diver, is downright ridiculous.

This thread, plus my buddy's Pro Plus 3 experience, is what caused me to want to find out if the VTX was also plagued by the inconsistent Oceanic algorithm.

I had a similar problem between a Data Plus and a VEO200 with the VEO200 giving shorter NDL during the dive. The difference only occurred when the FO2 50% Default was set to "OFF". With it set to "ON" and resetting FO@ before each dive it worked fine. Even set to off, it worked OK if I reset FO2 before the dive. I suspect they have a programming error.

Any news?

I have a VTX that is in violation during 2d dive and is set with same parameters as Oceanic GEO 2.0, which is fine - worn by same diver on same dives.

Actually, after a few calls and some head scratching.. I think they are going to take care of me. I will definitely follow up with the conclusion of this issue.

It would be very interesting if the 50% default setting had ANYTHING to do with the calculations.. If that were true, it would seem to be an obvious programing error, but I would think that this would be such a common issue that it would have been caught quickly. We generally try to leave the 50% default setting OFF. It is a pain, when you forget to re-set the nitrox and the computer gets all pissy at you..

Actually, after a few calls and some head scratching.. I think they are going to take care of me. I will definitely follow up with the conclusion of this issue.

It would be very interesting if the 50% default setting had ANYTHING to do with the calculations.. If that were true, it would seem to be an obvious programing error, but I would think that this would be such a common issue that it would have been caught quickly. We generally try to leave the 50% default setting OFF. It is a pain, when you forget to re-set the nitrox and the computer gets all pissy at you..

While a common issue, how many divers have two similar computers that they can even compare? I suspect they may be holding the FO2 setting but defaulting to 79% N2.
Since it is not a safety problem, it may not get the attention. Weren't these the same guys who produced computers that had the divers doing their SI on the set EAN O2?

I gave up and just reset my VEO before each EAN dive on the rare occasions I use it with EAN.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 10:14 AM ----------

Clarification:

My buddy has a Geo 2.0 that he likes except he can't read the small screen.

He bought a Pro Plus 3 for the big screen but discovered the algorithm is way conservative compared to the Geo 2.0 - same settings, same dives. He ditched the PP3 and bought a Veo 3.0.

He compared the Veo 3.0 with the Geo 2.0, same dives, same settings, and found them to be nearly identical.

I dove the VTX and the Veo 3.0, same dives, same settings, and the VTX is way conservative compared to the VEO 3.0.

I will dive the VTX and Geo 2.0 next, but since Veo 3.0 = Geo 2.0 algorithmically, I don't expect that the VTX to match the Geo 2.0

My theory, that appears to have a lot of empirical evidence behind it, is that the Oceanic Pelagic DSAT implementation is inconsistent among its product line.

Had an Aeris which I believe is Oceanic. It was getting real conservative on dive 2. In fact it was looking like my Suunto. Turned out the battery was weak even though not that old. Computer was working fine during the dive but it was not holding the Nitrox setting during the SI between dives. So it thought dive 2 was on air. But sounds like you checked the mix.

Does the Oceanic have an ascent penalty if you go too fast? Maybe somehow son had a penalty starting dive 2.

I have a proplus and a newer veo. Their readings almost as if they are one.

Back
Top Bottom